Solved

move costs from a service order to a project

• 26 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

How can we move the costs from a service order to a project.  We have multiple service orders that have turned in to projects.  this happens often when we go to a customers to fix some a piece of equipment and due to the condition of the equipment we quote the price of replacement and we include the costs from the service order in the quote so we don’t invoice for the service order. Weeks or months later  we replace the equipment and the cost from the service order need to get included in the project so we can show the customer we included the service order, and the revenue from the project stays with the costs from the service order.  This happens frequently leaving open service orders.  our revenue doesn’t match the costs on projects making the projects profitable and the service order not profitable.

My only thought is to do a GL transaction, but it won’t affect the service order, just the project.  the appointment has time activities on it, so it won’t let me do anything with it.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

icon

Best answer by andrew15 14 November 2023, 17:30

View original

5 replies

Hi,

we have exactly the same problem. 

Sorry cannot help but did you find a solution in the meantime?

Badge +18

Hello,

Please enter your ideas in the Ideas section of Acumatica Community, so we can vote for improvements.

I noticed a previous post, 2 years old, about ability to change the project on a service order. Acumatica answered with 8 steps needed to change the project.  I think your question and its answer is likely very similar:

It seems like adding a project to a service order would require the same steps.  Please post details, include your ideas of how you’d like the system to handle addition of project to a service order, how the posting of existing appointments should work, etc. (what if previous appointments are already billed?) and then add the link to your idea to this post so we can vote. 

Thank you!

Laura

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I don’t think there is a way that is makes it accurate.  we can copy the info to a new Service order/appointment to apply but the costs are not accurate.  I think we will just make journal entries to make sure the GL is mostly correct and hope acumatica can find a clean way to do this.  we already have inaccurate accounting for service so the journal entries won’t hurt it.

We do this by “invoicing” the Project from the Service Order.  If you check BOTH Billable and Free Item it will transfer the Cost and Revenue to the Project.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

We do this by “invoicing” the Project from the Service Order.  If you check BOTH Billable and Free Item it will transfer the Cost and Revenue to the Project.

@KShepherd how does it know what project to transfer the cost to?  Acumatica won’t allow you to change the project number on the service order after an appointment is created.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved