Solved

Attribute Character Limit

• 15 March 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

This feels like an answer that should be found in the help articles, but I can’t find anything. How do we set the character limit for an Attribute of Control Type Text? I’m trying to import to an attribute and got this error:

icon

Best answer by Naveen Boga 17 March 2024, 17:47

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@lawsont , you cannot SET the character limit on an attribute. But, the limit is 4000 characters, I believe. The way to check it is to create a new attribute, add it to an item or customer, then insert a large text in there - Acumatica will trim it down automatically - then copy and paste that trimmed down text to an app that counts characters (Word does it, Notes does it, most text edits do), and then see how many characters are there. Hope this helps.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Yuri Karpenko  Interesting, but 4000 would be plenty! The highest character count in my import is 370. Interestingly, I just manually updated that attribute on the stock item and it saved just fine. Maybe it’s a setting in the Import Scenario itself that’s enforcing a character limit?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@lawsont , in your import scenario, are you only updating the attribute value?

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Yuri Karpenko Yes, only the attribute value. So, the error message would have to be that field. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@lawsont  By default Acumatica allows 255 characters for the Attribute Control Type Text.

If we have a requirement to provide more than 255 characters, it requires customization. 

Let me know if you need any help with the customization.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Naveen Boga Thanks! I think cutting it at 255 isn’t the end of the world for now.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved