Solved

Using a generic inquiry as a data source in another generic inquiry

• 4 November 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
  • Freshman I
  • 39 replies

Is it possible to use a GI as part of the data source / table in another GI.

Background:

We sell our products in an online store, we also have a customer that sells our products on their online store and we fulfill and ship these orders. This customer is also a distributer for us. 

At the end of each month we report the total sales (wholesale and online store) for this customer. The issue is the Online store orders come into our system as retail orders. We currently manually combine the sales numbers at the end of each month. 

I have a GI that pulls the Wholesale sales and a separate GI that pulls the online (retail) sales numbers.

Is there a way that I can use the online (retail) GI as one of the data sources (tables) in the wholesale GI, similar to a nested query in SQL, so we just have one GI to run that give us the combined sales numbers?

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by BenjaminCrisman 4 November 2022, 18:24

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Del! In order to do something like this you would need to make a custom table, though it might work with just a SQL view to get one side of the transactions.

Then when you create the GI you have the data set already calculated and can incorporate it to combine the amounts.

Otherwise I think you would need to make a report to show this kind of data which can run subreports which are very similar to nested queries.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thank you!

I will investigate the customer table.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you!

I will investigate the customer table.

Hi @Del! just to make sure based on this last response, the need will be a custom table, not Customer table.

Userlevel 4
Badge

BenjaminCrisman

Just my excellent typing skills 😁

Thank you!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@BenjaminCrisman, do you know if adding this functionality is on the roadmap (being able to use a GI as the source for another GI)?

It would be REALLY helpful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@donnadeskins55 Yes. This is a highly important and highly requested item. We are currently planning it for an upcoming release. If you have not already voted for it, please do: https://community.acumatica.com/ideas/allow-generic-inquiries-to-be-used-as-table-for-generic-inquiry-2715 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Thanks @Doug Johnson! Can’t wait for that to be released 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Doug Johnson any idea about the release timeline.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved