Skip to main content
Solved

Limit 15 characters BOM ID number, need 30 characters to match the Inventory ID.

• 22 May 2024
  • 3 replies

Good day everyone, 

Need some help or suggestions. We are on 2024R1 and the BOM ID Number is limited to 15 characters. THe Item inventroy ID came go up to 30 characters. We typiclly use the top level inventory id number to be the same as the BOM. Unfortuntily, we are running into problems.  We have over 60,000 BOM now and we growing. I am hoping for a suggestion before we start looking for an outside solution . 

Thank you 

Kim 

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge

Hello @klovell,

By default you are limited to 15 characters. With a customization you can increase this number. I would recommend reaching out to your VAR for help with this issue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @klovell ,

There is already an idea on the community to increase the size of this field, which you can vote on:

A customization to increase the field length as @ad56 suggests could be done, however I could recommend caution because the BOMID is a key field that is referenced in many different tables.  The field size would need to be increased in each of these DACs.

Another idea might be to use the description field to save the inventory id.  

Laura

Badge +12

With a customization you can increase this number.

While this may be technically possible, I would highly recommend against it, since any table (existing or future) containing the BOM ID will need to be changed, both in the database and in the UI. The potential for headaches down the road are significant.