Question

Importing multiple files from a remote FTP location and running import scenario

• 29 October 2021
  • 6 replies

I’m working on a new project and I could use some help with the steps I need to complete.  I’m trying to automate the importing of data from an external source on a nightly basis.  Here is what I have:

1. External system exports multiple files to an FTP location on a nightly basis.
  2. I configured a data provider to connect and sync to the remote FTP location.
  3. I wrote an import scenario to import the external file.

Here is my problem.  I can successfully run the import scenario with a single file, but how do I do it for multiple?  When I perform the “File Synchronization", I end up as multiple versions (one for each new file).  How do I configure Acumatica to execute my IS nightly and to import all the new files it finds?  

6 replies

I have the same problem.  Although multiple files will sync from FTP with different time stamps, only the latest version is picked up by the prepare. Previous unprocessed files are not processed. Must be missing something?

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi @PRapnikas For automating the Import scenario on nightly basis, try using the Process Import Scenarios screen.

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi @PRapnikas Please find the below screenshot showing the scheduling options. The “Name” condition be assigned with your import scenario. So, when the process runs automatically, it will process only the specified Import Scenario.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi @PRapnikas Please find the below additional info for reference on the configurable parameters for nightly scheduling. 

Here is my problem.  I can successfully run the import scenario with a single file, but how do I do it for multiple?  When I perform the “File Synchronization", I end up as multiple versions (one for each new file).  How do I configure Acumatica to execute my IS nightly and to import all the new files it finds?  

@PRapnikas - I understand your problem. The testing and research I have done shows that it does not support processing “multiple revisions that have not been imported”.

There are multiple functional gaps in the import + file sync functionality. It’s not usable for business critical automation of data imports like importing orders from external systems.

Import Scenario + File Sync functional gaps:

1. A scheduled import scenario with file sync enabled does not trigger the file sync. It needs to be scheduled separately. Since the file sync needs to run before the import… humans need to manage the automation schedules to ensure they execute in the right order.
  2. No out of the box error notifications if scheduled import fails. It’s doable but needs to be constructed using GI’s against the Process Import Scenarios DAC, with a business event.
  3. No error notifications if the file sync fails. If this happens, then the import scenario will still run and re-import the same revision from last time.
  4. If the file sync (network share or ftp) syncs multiple files as revisions, only the most current revision is imported on the next import.
  5. There is no indication of which file revisions have been prepared, imported, and/or had errors. 

In its current state I would look at using external etl/automation tools to solve this.

-Chad

Thanks so much for this confirmation and analysis. 

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2020  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved