Question

user roles: restricting the release of invoices

Userlevel 5
Badge

All, our distribution team is releasing invoices which is causing issues on our AR side. Is there a user role/s and/or access screen right I can restrict so only AR can release? Thank you!

12 replies

Badge +18

Hello, in Access Rights by Screen, expand Receivables node, click on Release AR Transactions screen, to see which roles have rights. Ignore rights Not Set, view only and Revoked. 

Now you know which roles may release documents and transactions in AR. You may remove rights to Release from some roles by changing the Access Rights level to Not Set or Revoked.

Following above simple instructions means the role also cannot release AR credit memos, payments, etc. Will this solution meet your needs? I advise trying the changes in a test tenant first, to make sure desired result is achieved before rolling out the same changes in Live tenant.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hello, in Access Rights by Screen, expand Receivables node, click on Release AR Transactions screen, to see which roles have rights. Ignore rights Not Set, view only and Revoked. 

Now you know which roles may release documents and transactions in AR. You may remove rights to Release from some roles by changing the Access Rights level to Not Set or Revoked.

Following above simple instructions means the role also cannot release AR credit memos, payments, etc. Will this solution meet your needs? I advise trying the changes in a test tenant first, to make sure desired result is achieved before rolling out the same changes in Live tenant.

Thanks Laura, this is what I thought. But everything appears as it should on my end.

The user in question only has three roles checked -- BI Business Intelligence (not set), Distribution MGR (revoked) and Internal User (revoked).

I was under the impression if that a role was ‘not set’, it essentially had no rights if other rights were explicitly given to another role.

If our Dist Mgr has the roles of not set, revoked and revoked, she should not be able to release… correct?

Also, to clarify your directions above -- in my access rights by screen, I have a Release AR Documents (not transactions but I’m assuming they’re the same thing).

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

HI @swartzfeger 

If you have it narrowed down to one specific user, go to the Access Rights by User screen and see what their computed rights are under Receivables and Release AR documents.

A few other things to check: Do you have audit history turned on to check to see who is releasing these? Is there an automation schedule that could be running and releasing the documents?

Userlevel 5
Badge

Yep, audit history is turned on and we have it narrowed down to three accounts, distribution manager, shipping, receiving. All of them are revoked.

Also, I must be running an older version because I don’t see initial and computed, only access rights.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Just a little more explanation -- distribution is releasing invoices for international orders so they can include it with the shipment. However...

AR can send invoices to internationals but there can be issues... if distribution forgets to add freight or deduct freight, or it’s a proforma then the customer gets a second invoice just for freight. Which is sometimes difficult to explain. Just a cleaner procedure for accounting. AR also double check to make sure the invoice has the correct GL code and sub account on it before its released. Once the invoice is released, no changes can be made to that invoice.

Userlevel 5
Badge

HI @swartzfeger 

If you have it narrowed down to one specific user, go to the Access Rights by User screen and see what their computed rights are under Receivables and Release AR documents.

A few other things to check: Do you have audit history turned on to check to see who is releasing these? Is there an automation schedule that could be running and releasing the documents?

The users have the user role business intelligence and I see that BI has inherited rights… could that be the issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

HI @swartzfeger 

The users have the user role business intelligence and I see that BI has inherited rights… could that be the issue?

At the top of this one, what is the rights given for Receivables?

Userlevel 5
Badge

HI @swartzfeger 

Duh, I shoulda figured that out! The nested thing got me.

Receivables are all ‘not set’

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

HI @swartzfeger 

I would set it to Revoked just to be sure. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

HI @swartzfeger 

I would set it to Revoked just to be sure. 

I set it to revoked, logged in as the user in the sandbox and was still able to release. Kind of stumped at this point.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @swartzfeger were you able to find a solution? Thank you!

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @swartzfeger were you able to find a solution? Thank you!

Timely question, because we just had a visit with our VAR! As far as we can tell, everything is correct with our access rights and are now considering it a bug. We’re also going to send our VAR an updated authorization matrix.

As it stands, only AR should have the ability to release invoices but distribution has been able to despite being Revoked. More to come!

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved