Solved

Max Length-Segmented keys

• 25 April 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hello Experts,

I have been trying to increase the length of the Account field in the Chart of Accounts form using Segmented Keys (CS202000) form. But seems like the Max Length is only limited to 10 characters. Is there any possibility to increase the Max length to 20+ characters.

Kindly let me know how to achieve this.

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by aaghaei 25 April 2023, 09:51

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

An update: We can increase the length to 30 characters, but not able to figure out how shall I increase the same.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

To increase the length of Account both the AcctCD field length in DB and in Segments should be increased 

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Harshita 

Kindly refer the below article.

And changing the Account length of Account and AccCD in DB is also not recommended as it will have impact on so many screen and transactions. 

https://www.augforums.com/forums/everything-else/maximum-length-of-gl-segments/

Regards

Ram

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@ramuv9

For the sake of clarification and avoid misleading information, it is true that Account & Subaccount are used in almost every single Acumatica screens but what all screens are referring to is the surrogate key (AcctID) not the natural key (AcctCD) which it’s length is going to be increased. The number of screens referring to Account is completely irrelevant.

it doesn’t mean I approve or recommend lengthy Account Codes but it also won’t cause technical issues

Badge +18

Reza, do we need to be concerned about account code being too wide? If account number is too long, it will be chopped off , not clearly visible in many screens and reports. We won’t be able to see to what account transactions were posted without many screen and report customizations to widen account  field.  Maybe number if fields to widen in many screens and reports is the impact Ram is talking about. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Thank you @Laura02 for chiming in.

Not necessarily. We typically enter accounts in grids in which case the length can easily be adjusted if needed by user without customization. Even if accounts are entered using form selector controls still accounts won’t be chopped. The form account selector controls typically are wide enough to show both code and desc. When code increases will leave less space for Desc only.

as for reports there might be very few requiring adjusting.

I repeat I do not recommend lengthy codes but also it won’t cause technical issues like some other fields may cause. For example if someone wants to increase RefNbr field in AR or AP I would say stay far from it as it will result many subsequent changes at Database Level but not for Account or Subaccount 

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved