Solved

Is there a way to maintain/add Item Types?

• 20 January 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2

My understanding is that there is no functionality tied to Item Type within the system, that it is a way of categorizing data.  With that in mind, I am interested in adding other Item Types to the system to further manage/categorize Non-Stock Items.  I have not found any options or methods to maintain the list of Types available for selection within the modules.

icon

Best answer by JSager76 25 January 2023, 18:36

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Does the item class functionality provide what you need? You can use that for reporting and filtering and assigning defaults like GL accounts, warehouses, posting classes, price classes, and various other attributes. If not, what specifically is missing?

Userlevel 2

We use item classes for different classification purposes, and has many more layers than what we need.  I am hoping to use the Item Type, more or less specifically for non-stock items, to allow easy filtering of the parts for an API.  For example, we don’t want Expense items to be exposed.  Yes, we could use the Item class, however the item class has been extensively used with more than one layer.  I was hoping that the Item type, being a simple “tag” could be used for the filtering we need.  However, if I cannot add more types to the system, I can’t use it.  That’s why I’m looking for a maintenance option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Have you looked at using Attributes to create additional fields that you can define (including standard dropdown lists?)

https://help-2022r2.acumatica.com/(W(3))/Help?ScreenId=ShowWiki&pageid=f2ea392e-5710-4e11-8148-902a861f773d

• Create the Attribute fields that you need on the Attributes form
  • Then add the attributes you want to track on each item class that it applies to. 
  • Some can be mandatory and some can be optional
Userlevel 4
Badge

I agree with meganfriesen37. Attributes would a good option for this. Alternatively you could create a customization to add to the list of Item Types. I don’t believe there is a no-code way to change the list.

Userlevel 2

Thanks to all - I appreciate the suggestions for workarounds.  I will probably just use either a new posting class, or item class instead of creating an attribute.  Maintenance of Type just would have made it quicker and potentially cleaner from my perspective, but not a big deal.  Thanks!

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved