Skip to main content
Solved

How long should a snapshot deletion take?

• 23 May 2024
  • 7 replies

I have a snapshot that I am trying to delete. The Processing popup has been up for over an hour…..
How long should this process take?

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hey there,

This might depend on the size of the snapshot, if it is taking so long you may see a resource governor error in system event logs and/or a timeout error. 

Be sure to always perform tenant & snapshot maintenance tasks after hours and/or with maintenance mode turned on, otherwise the general use of Acumatica Resources will be taken away for users doing normal day to day processes and one might even temporarily bring down a site due to this process taking more resources than site has available.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Missy Main ,

I think it just takes a very long time. At 90 minutes into the delete I left with it still running. 2 hours later I checked and it had completed.

Thanks for the pointers regarding snapshot maintenance. Always a good reminder!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hey @rcreasy, I am actually about to do the same thing.  Curious what size your snapshot was, just so I can plan accordingly.

Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hey @rcreasy, I am actually about to do the same thing.  Curious what size your snapshot was, just so I can plan accordingly.

Thanks!

It was just under 50G. I am deleting a second snapshot about the same size. I can post a more accurate time when it finishes.

Also, I did watch the system monitor during the deletion and a good bit of resources was used. Be aware that the points made by @Missy Main about the possible impact on performance.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@rcreasy Very much appreciated.  I’m only sitting on 10GB, so it shouldn’t be too bad, but still good to know what to expect.

Userlevel 4
Badge

For future visitors to this post - the 50G Snapshot took 2 hours and 7 minutes.

This seems like a silly thing to be as resource intensive as it is. Our snapshots are well over 100 Gb at this point, and that means any maintenance we do to delete the snapshots takes hours and hours. We could do this same thing quickly in SQL. Is this a limitation of the cloud?