Skip to main content
Solved

PO currency by Vendor Location - can we do this?

• 6 June 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi team, 

We have a scenario where a vendor has two points from which they distribute stock to us. Location A is denominated in euro, location B in USD. Looking to support our procurement team by setting defaults for currency which follow the location field for vendor rather than default at vendor, and then allowing override. 

Before you suggest splitting the vendor into two, it can occur that for speed of delivery they switch locations and thus the order currency. I understand it is difficult/not possible to switch a PO between vendors once issued so we didn’t think that met our needs - but correct me if that’s wrong.

Thanks!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @chrisgold 

What version are you on?  You are correct that you cannot change the currencies between locations (there’s no field to store it in).  This might be worth submitting as an Idea.  I think sticking with Locations is probably your best bet based on the circumstances you indicated. 

I tested this in Acumatica 24R1 today and you can change vendors on a purchase order more easily that you used to be able to, but there are some restrictions

1. You can change the vendor if no Purchase Receipts have been posted.  You have to put the PO back on hold and get all the approvals again.
    • If you change vendors and they allow for currency override, the currency of the PO will stay the same as it was for the first vendor.
    • If you change vendors and they do not allow for currency override, you will get an error.  I found I had to delete all the lines from the PO, save it, and then add them back to get past this error.

2. You can change location and change the currency even if Receipts have been processed. The price will stay the same but in the new currency (i.e. I went from $55 USD to $55 CAD), I don’t have this in a vendor price sheet, so that could change things too.  Even after materials are received, I can still change the location if I reopen the order and put it back on hold.  Changing the currency/price after the receipts are entered won’t change what’s already been posted though.

3. If you stick with Locations, you can change the location on the Receipt, and this is what drives the AP location.
  4. Once the item is received, you have to process the bill against the location you received it from.  So I received it from MAIN (after issuing the PO to TORONTO)
    No PO receipts are available to be selected when I have AAVENDOR and TORONTO

But I can select it when I pick the MAIN location.  If I have the Currency as USD, I get a warning about the currency (as the PO was in CAD) which I can override/edit as needed.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks @meganfriesen37 for the detailed response! We’re on 23R2, how many versions back was the change for “vendor change without losing detail”?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I’m not totally sure, I can’t find it in the available release notes for 22R2, 23R1, 23R2 or 24R1, so it must have been prior to that.

I did find in the 2020R2 release notes that was when you could start changing the currency on the AP Bill for a purchase order (see page 194):
https://acumatica-builds.s3.amazonaws.com/builds/20.2/ReleaseNotes/AcumaticaERP_2020R2_ReleaseNotes.pdf