Solved

Don't freeze inventory while cycle counting

• 16 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi Acumatica community! Is it possible to do cycle counting and not freeze inventory? My client wants to continue their operations while some staff cycle count.

icon

Best answer by bryanb39 16 March 2024, 22:48

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

No there isn’t, however if you utilize locations and have several different physical count types you can at least limit the interruptions.  Also use the unfreeze when count is complete option to at least release it earlier.  

I am going to be working on a small app, probably just PowerApps for proof of concept to allow users to post adjustments based on Book Qty and a the Physical Count.  That’s really all Physical Counts are doing, the freezing just prevents the numbers from changing while people count.  

If the Book Qty refreshes every time an actual individual count is entered freezing shouldn’t really be necessary.  This assumes you are using small enough locations and you enter inventory affecting transactions live.  

The default behavior of Freezing does make sense considering many customers probably aren’t keeping their inventory as live as is needed for this to work.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

We have a client who is looking to do something similar, and I was just about to ask a similar question. @bryanb39 you mentioned that having different physical count types to limit the interruptions which was my suggestion to the client. They wanted to know if they could create a type that would allow them to add a location on the fly and I couldn’t seem to come up with a good solution for them.

It would be nice if you could do a location based inventory cycle, or create one that would allow you to manually select locations, instead of bringing everything in and then EXCLUDING the ones that you want. even if they are excluded, it still freezes inventory. Having 1 cycle per location seems to be going to the opposite extreme. There has to be a way, but I can’t seem to put my finger on the easiest solution. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

The closest thing to adding on the fly now is having a location based count type that is edited as needed to only lock those locations.  

We have one of these and several.predefined ones based on rows and Zones.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved