Skip to main content
Solved

How to migrate unreleased AR retention

I’ve looked around and just cannot locate an article on this.  Can someone point me in the right direction for best practice on loading (migrating) unreleased AR retention?

Thanks

9 replies

Badge +18

Hello @WoodyGilbert ,

Unreleased AR Retention will be migrated with  Construction Project progress billing history.  Are you following Acumatica’s step-by-step article? Do you have access to the link below? 

Laura

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks Laura - to be a bit more specific, client went live a year or so ago and realized recently that a customer should have a balance of unreleased retention (and it was overlooked during migration last year before go live).  There are no open AR invoices and no future invoices to create.

We just need to load a balance of Unreleased Retention.

Thanks

Kevin

Badge +18

Hello, Kevin,

I think the one Invoice with zero balance and Unreleased retention may be entered on an AR Invoice with $0 balance for AR Amount and - - Not $0 Balance -- for Retainage Amount using Migration Mode. Coordinate with your customer for a time when Migration Mode may be temporarily turned on for the time needed to enter 1 invoice.  After turning Migration Mode off, use Acumatica’s Release Retainage process to produce the final retainage invoice for the customer.

To make sure the desired result is achieved and Retainage successfully releases when Migration mode is turned back off… I suggest testing the process first in the customer’s Test tenant.

Step-by-step instructions below were copied from Irina’s post found here:

Laura

Userlevel 3
Badge

Laura - thanks and you know exactly what I’m trying to accomplish.  I feel like we’re close with one exception.

1. Pay by Line is unchecked and not accessible when I’m in migration mode (if I take it out of migration mode there’s a check in the box and it’s not grayed out)
  2. My understanding from the article is that I have to be in migration mode with Pay by Line selected in order to have access to the Unreleased Retainage column on the details section of the AR Invoice.

Here’s a screenshot while in Migration mode:

Badge +18

Hello,

Does the customer in question have Pay by Line checked on?  If yes, does Pay by line check itself on in the above screen, after Customer Id is selected to the screen?

Laura

Userlevel 3
Badge

Laura - yes the customer has Pay by Line checked, but when I create a new AR Invoice for that customer in migration mode the box is not checked and it’s grayed out.  If I take it out of migration mode it places a check in the box and opens up access to it. 

Badge +18

Hi Kevin,

Does this customer generally pay only some line items on their retention invoices? How many lines does this migrated invoice contain?

I think, try entering the invoice and releasing retention in your Test tenant, using migration mode as discussed… and see whether the Pay by Line item setting has any impact on the results. 

If the customer needs to pay some lines and we can’t make it work in the test… raise a ticket with your partner or with Acumatica support.

Laura

Userlevel 3
Badge

Yes, sometimes but in this instance they just need 1 Unreleased Retention migrated (because it was missed last year when they did their full migration for go live.  I’ll try what you proposed and then open a Case.

Thank you so much for your input on this one.  Really appreciated!

Kevin

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@WoodyGilbert I dont believe importing project related billings (including retention) is compatible with the pay by line functionality.  If it’s just one amount per project, you should be able to import it through the normal AR import specifying the retainage percentage as 100%, however, i don’t believe you’ll have the option to release it by line.  

here’s another article that references how to import progress billing for 23R1 and up: 

here’s a screenshot of what i use to import retainage by project, it did go down to the task level but in theory you could combine all lines to one line: 

the ones in yellow are invoices that are recording unreleased retainage, note the balance is zero but the ext. price and unreleased retainage amounts are the same.  I also specified the retainage percent to be 100%.  the system creates the unreleased retainage invoices that can be used when retainage is ready to be released.  please note this should be done in migration mode