UPS Authentication and API Changes

• 26 June 2023
  • 34 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge

⚠️ Update Dec 11, 2023: The OAuth 2.0 and new API changes have been rolled out to Acumatica starting with 2023 R1 Update 13 and 2023 R2 Update 4. Configuration steps for using the new API and OAuth 2.0 will be available in the Acumatica help files soon. In the meantime, follow this link to the UPS Rest Configuration guide.

UPS recently published an announcement and how connection is established to their API. Partners or customer may have received the following notification. Acumatica is aware of this. Development work to address this change is being prioritized to address it in second-half of 2023.

The changes impact the Acumatica direct UPS integration in 2 ways:

• New OAuth 2.0 for authentication. Since UPS is not issuing API access keys beginning June 5, 2023, which is how Acumatica performs authentication today, new customers or those in the process of implementation are immediately affected. The current workaround is to use our carrier aggregator integrations such as EasyPost or ShipEngine.
  • Acumatica’s integration was built on what UPS now refers to as “Legacy SOAP API” and needs to be upgraded to the new “RESTful API”. All existing customers who are already using the integration will be affected. However, they can continue to use the current integration until June 3, 2024.

Since the version of the API that is currently being used does not support OAuth 2.0, Acumatica will need to address both of these changes in the context of the same update. As in, we plan to switch to OAuth 2.0 for authentication as well as upgrade the integration to use the new RESTful API. We are hoping to roll these changes out to a minor update to some of the earlier Acumatica versions but this is TBD.

34 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Re-Summary:

1. If a customer has not acquired a legacy UPS API Key prior to June 5th of this year (2023), they will not be able to get one from UPS.
  2. Acumatica's out of the box integration only works with API Keys (and also uses deprecated SOAP api).
  3. Any new customers or existing customers that want to use the out of the box UPS Integration and DO NOT already have an API key will NOT be able to use it.
  4. Until Acumatica releases an update, they would need to use EasyPost or ShipEngine.
  5. They are targeting second half of 2023, and they are hoping to back port this update to older releases, but this has not been determined yet.
  6. Any existing customers already using the UPS Integration have until end of May of 2024 to update to a version of Acumatica that supports the RESTful API with OAuth support. This update has yet to be released.

Is this complete? We know it is only for new customers.

Userlevel 1

@Omar Ghazi can you help me find these release notes specific to SOAP API being depricated?

Userlevel 6
Badge

@barryk77 It’s not complete yet. We are currently working on the new authentication method and API. As I mentioned earlier, it’s still TBD, but we are hoping to roll these changes to 24R1 (at launch), and minor releases of 23R2, 23R1, and possibly 22R2.

Userlevel 6
Badge

@okiave from the Developer Release notes from the latest 23R2 beta 2 release: 

Page 13 discusses support for SOAP Based API / WSDL Ends.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@Omar Ghazi Has this been completed yet?
We rely heavily on the current UPS integration for multiple companies.

Userlevel 6
Badge

@Ellie this is still in progress. I will update everyone here as soon as it is available. 

If you are already using/relying on this integration with an issued API access key, you should not be affected right now and you should be able to continue using it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@Omar Ghazi We were affected indirectly, but found a workaround. They have already started deprecating other related features like allowing multiple API accounts in a single UPS CampusShip account, and we therefore want to be on top of this.

As well, we had an upgrade planned for next week but have decided to postpone until it is clear which version will support the new OAuth method. This change in the roadmap has a significant impact on the company.

Thanks for the updates, we look forward to the full resolution!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Jumping in for visibility since yesterday I was asked to look at adding 30 more accounts and remembered this article.

Does anyone know if there is a launch date for this new integration? Thanks!!

Userlevel 6
Badge

@GastonRuggeri  - the update is now available with 2023 R1 Update 13 and 2023 R2 Update 4. 

great news, thank you!

Userlevel 1
Badge

In case anyone is hunting down UPS Developer phone support here it is (as of 2/16/2024):  (800) 247-9035 (option 3, option 3).  They helped me complete the options needed on the ‘Create Application’ step referenced in this article and were more helpful than I expected.

Userlevel 6
Badge

@andrewh22 thank you for your comment! I am curious as to why you reached out to UPS directly and what steps they provided to help you with the configuration steps of the “Create Application” phase. Unless they are very specific to your account, would you be willing to share so we can see if we have an opportunity to improve our documentation to address them for others?

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Omar Ghazi There are some confusing ‘authentication’ errors you get on the Acumatica side if you choose the wrong options in the UPS developer portal - when you first setup the application.

I ended up saving these UPS products pictured below.  I am still in testing and will report back if I find others are needed or not needed but so far these seem right and do not result in any additional charges from UPS’ side.

Userlevel 6
Badge

@andrewh22 Thank you for sharing! Please keep me posted here and I will communicate with the engineering team to see if we can add a list of products required (or optional) for the integration to see if we can add that to our documentation.

Userlevel 2

hi @Omar Ghazi  - is there an ETA on this 22R2 version ?

Userlevel 6
Badge

@ramakrishnan91 this has been available with 2023 R1 Update 13, 2023 R2 Update 4, and 2024 R1 RC releases and later.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Omar Ghazi 

Why do the instructions in the link at the top state that you can install a 22r2 build and yet it is not available in the 22r2 build?

Userlevel 6
Badge

@alanconroynaw we apologize for the inconvenience, there was a mistake in the documentation. This is available with 2023 R1 Update 13, 2023 R2 Update 4, and later. The documentation has been updated to reflect this. 

The new integration is working properly for us, but we need to rotate the UPS label, similar to what Acumatica did with this package: GitHub - Acumatica/Acumatica-Rotate-UPS-Label: Customization to rotate Shipping Label image retrieved from UPS Carrier while confirming Shipment in Acumatica. Does anyone know if a similar package exists for the new integration?

The new integration is working properly for us, but we need to rotate the UPS label, similar to what Acumatica did with this package: GitHub - Acumatica/Acumatica-Rotate-UPS-Label: Customization to rotate Shipping Label image retrieved from UPS Carrier while confirming Shipment in Acumatica. Does anyone know if a similar package exists for the new integration?

In case that helps somebody, we used the same project below and just added the next condition to work with both types of plugins:

if (plugin?.PluginTypeName?.Trim() == typeof(PX.UpsCarrier.UpsCarrier).FullName || 
plugin?.PluginTypeName?.Trim() == typeof(PX.UpsRestCarrier.UpsRestCarrier).FullName)

We have implemented the UPS Integration and when I test the connection from the Carriers Screen I get a “Sucessful” message.  However on the shipments screen I am receving the folowing error when “shopping” for rates:

Can anyone shed some light on what might be driving this error?

Userlevel 6
Badge

@MattWSM which Acumatica version are you working on?

@Omar Ghazi   Thanks for the quick reply.

We are on Build 23.204.0031

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved