Areas of interest to explore

• 17 November 2022
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 3

As we continue to build this space for Women in Tech and anyone who wants to be involved for that matter, I do want to sponsor topics that can help us thinking through our own barriers, the need for inspiration or even guidance on how to get from point A to point B. My question is, what are the topics you would like us to cover for this group? what would be helpful and relevant for you to continue your journey and make it meaningful? I want to build a few connection points through the year addressing areas of interest for our Acumatica community that includes our employees, partners and customers.

Looking forward to reading your comments.

Martha Lucia Groulx

11 replies

Userlevel 5

@marthagroulx47 Thank you very much for this great initiative ML! I think these topics might be interesting for our community members (including myself):

1. How to advance your career. Many employees work hard and are appreciated by their companies, and yet they are asking themselves: what else am I missing to get where I want to get. What is important to see your career progress?
  2. Tips and tricks from you on how to be good in interviews (both as an interviewer and as a candidate), in negotiations, in building good relations with your co-workers, clients, business partners.
  3. How to achieve great results in your business projects while still being perceived as a “nice” person.
  4. I say this article being discussed on LinkedIn - https://hbr.org/2022/10/how-confidence-is-weaponized-against-women?utm_campaign=hbr&utm_medium=social&utm_source=instagram Thought this topic might be interesting for our community too.

@Aliya @tejalrastogi83 @StaceyReitz23 @MiaRodgers21 @RodicaLeva28 @soniatanase07 @AdrianaFlores54 @JessicaNunesUeno55 would be interesting to hear your thoughts!

Userlevel 5
Badge

@marthagroulx47 @irinabarber62 Thanks for creating the space to share our thoughts!

It would be great to cover “How to find your voice.” Here a couple of interesting articles on this Find your inner voice; As women we can understand environments and situations at a different level and 4 Women in Tech on Finding Your Voice and Leading With Vision.

Or inviting others to engage with Women in Tech by guiding the conversation. Here an example of the content created with that purpose 5 Questions I Get Asked as a Woman in Tech.

Cheers!

When I think about my career and how can I grow my career I follow one simple principle: “to continue to do what I love being surrounded by people that trust me and give me wings to fly (trusting me to work on new initiatives, programs) to feel empowered to own those projects from start to end) and to be able to give back -to build a network, a team and share what I learned, as well as to learn from them, too”.

I do believe it is important (it doesn’t matter how senior you are in your role) to have a career coach/mentor. For me, that was very important to have someone that I trust to listen to me, to brainstorm ideas with and to help me get where I need to be.

Another element to growing the career is to take ownership on the projects or sometimes, not being afraid to share an idea and to deliver on that idea.

Thinking at ways that could help/benefit other teams, too (maybe that’s out of my scope, but working with that team/teams would impact the efficiency, branding, etc). At the end of the day, is teamwork and we’re helping each other.

Looking at the big picture and the impact I can have through that initiative/program/project.

Being more intentional about building and strengthen those relationships with the community/network: connecting with people, brainstorming ideas, helping each other finding a job, sharing a job, asking for referrals, asking about a program, certification, asking about ways to grow my career etc.  

@irinabarber62 @marthagroulx47 @Aliya @tejalrastogi83 @AdrianaFlores54 @RodicaLeva28 @JessicaNunesUeno55 

Userlevel 5

Thank you, Martha, for this initiative. There are so many topics that come to my mind, but there is one topic I feel strongly about and that is “having a mentor”.

I feel it's very important to have leadership skills and especially when you can be mentored by someone who’s already in a leadership position, that's very helpful. Also, a mentor can help in adapting to a new environment, especially when joining a new company or department — allowing one to acclimate to the company culture more quickly.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Great topics everyone.

@irinabarber62  i liked your topic #3 “How to achieve great results in your business projects while still being perceived as a “nice” person. “

There is a book called “the likability trap” talking about challenges that women meet in the workplace balancing between demonstrating strong leadership and willing to be likable. Spoiler alert, it is not individual women issues, it is a systemic cultural/organizational issues that needs to be addressed. 

@marthagroulx47  In addition to what everyone wrote here are the topics I see women ask/discuss on networking events: work life balance, salary negotiation tips, importance of networking. 

Userlevel 5

@Aliya Thank you Aliya! Ok, nice, that’s a great relief to know I’m not lonely there haha😂 Thank you for the recommendation - will have a look!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16
  1. I think for me the most important thing that @irinabarber62 said was How can women advance their career? I think it’s not something talked about enough. I spent many years in the military, and I ALWAYS knew how to advance, in the tech space or just any space, I think it’s not discussed enough. Do I have to wait until someone retires or leaves the company? I believe this goes beyond women as well. Most men don’t even know how or when they can advance. I think there’s a bigger platform that can be reached here. 
  2. Pay gaps, how can we openly discuss that? I know that it is becoming less since it is a known issue, but there should not be one period. Maybe we could speak on how to negotiate a better salary based on what a male counterpart is receiving if you have the same qualifications. 
Userlevel 5

@kandybeatty49 Great point, thank you so much for sharing, totally agree. And thank you for your service!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@kandybeatty49 Great point, thank you so much for sharing, totally agree. And thank you for your service!

I appreciate that @irinabarber62 !!!!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Thank you for the great initiatives!

I’d highlight the same topic with @tejalrastogi83 which is “Having a Mentor”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@marthagroulx47 Could we spotlight woman entrepreneurs in the Acumatica community?  Where they share their stories?  We have several partners and customers who have built businesses from the ground up.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved