Solved

Snapshots: XML or Binary

• 6 November 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge

When I create a snapshot for the purpose of installing the snapshot in a sandbox or for an emergency back up, should I create an “XML” or a “Binary” snapshot? Which is the most appropriate or better? We are on 2022 R2 so soon moving to 2023 R2.

icon

Best answer by Dmitrii Naumov 6 November 2023, 16:31

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @dougmcbride79 

A snapshot in binary format takes less space. Saving the snapshot in XML format may be useful if you need to compare snapshot contents line by line.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

HI @dougmcbride79 

I tried to post this earlier for you: A snapshot in binary format takes less space. Saving the snapshot in XML format may be useful if you need to compare snapshot contents line by line.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @dougmcbride79 Please export Binary type

• Binary: The exported data is saved in a collection of .adb files.
  • XML: The exported data is saved in a collection of .xml files.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @dougmcbride79 

• Binary: The exported data is saved in a collection of .adb files.
  • XML: The exported data is saved in a collection of .xml files.

Please plan BInary

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@dougmcbride79  I’d say xml is always preferable. The only exception is if you have a limited amount of available space and want the snapshot to be smaller. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@dougmcbride79 One good reason for XML is if you want to import a huge customer snapshot into your local instance.  If you are doing this, you do a new instance with the exact same build number as the snapshot IN XML format.  You extract the snapshot into the Database\Data\”companyname” folder you create. 

when you are creating your instance, select JOECOMPANY instead of SalesDemo and the data from your snapshot will be used to create your instance.

BE CAREFUL.  You should do the creation of your instance in “Airplane” mode.  Before you launch the instance, be sure your Web.config has this entry:

<add key="DisableScheduleProcessor" value="True" />

Otherwise, you might send hundreds of emails like I did!  OUCH.

Also, any custom tables or UDF’s in the snapshot will be ignored when you create the instance.  They ARE included in the XML of the snapshot, but they are not restored when you do the install.

I have a way to handle this, but it involves a bit of Excel and SQL work to get it done.

Userlevel 6
Badge

Thank you for the insightful and informative replies. I greatly appreciate the help. 

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved