Solved

How to create a list of long running processes

• 1 May 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Other than using the Request Profiler, (which I find only slightly better than useless), is there any other way to produce/create a list of the processes in Acumatica that are Long Running processes?

If so, what is that method?

Thank you,

Jeff

icon

Best answer by Missy Main 1 May 2023, 15:49

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

What I am really trying to do is create a list of the longest running GI’s and Dashboard’s in my instance to identify which ones take longer than 10 seconds to execute and/or pull the largest amount of data.  

The reason for this is to identify those GI’s and Dashboard’s that are having negative performance impacts and look to rewrite or retire those.

Thank you,

Jeff

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hey Jeff,

Here are some options for this request:
1. Request Profiler, with all options turned on. 
2. In System Monitor → Requests in Progress

One really nice benefit of Request Profiler is being able to review logs at a later time. With SQL logging turned on, one can even minute details regarding specific screens/GI’s/running processes

In System Monitor → Requests in Progress one can review long running processes only at the time they are running.

Here’s some follow up documentation that may assist with this endeavor further. 

Using Logs: https://help.acumatica.com/(W(1))/Help?ScreenId=ShowWiki&pageid=36e00e6e-4cdb-4cc9-a16f-9fc2c295bd4e

Using Profilers: https://help.acumatica.com/(W(1))/Help?ScreenId=ShowWiki&pageid=e4c450bb-86bc-4fb2-b7e6-1f715abe3c8b

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thank you @Missy Main.  I knew and have used both.  I was hoping for more diagnostic informative methods.  Again, thank you for the information and links!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@Missy Main Expanding on the original question - 
What we all need is a way to monitor processes that take a long time or many resources. It is not possible to catch these “live” all the time.
If an action takes more than x minutes to complete or more than x percentage of our SQL resources, we would like to know about it and potentially cancel the action or at least be aware that it is inefficient so we can optimize the process.

In recent builds, Acumatica has added similar functionality to the system queues. We can set a threshold which is crossed, an Email is triggered. The concept would be similar for SQL or application processes.

We tried creating a Business event from a GI based on the tables used in System monitor>Running Processes & System monitor>Requests in progress, but the data is either non-existent in the DB, or static.

To summarize - 
We are looking for either a native tool that will generate a notification based on performance parameters, or advice on how to create a GI that will allow for business event monitoring.

Thanks!

@jeffgrammer69 If you have found any workaround, we would love to hear about them!

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved