Commerce 21R2 - Selling Made-to-Order, personalized products in Shopify or BigCommerce is now supported

• 22 September 2021
  • 10 replies
Commerce 21R2 - Selling Made-to-Order, personalized products in Shopify or BigCommerce is now supported
Userlevel 6
Badge +1

In 21R2 the Retail-Commerce team has added support for selling personalized items on BigCommerce and Shopify then passing the personalization instructions into the Sales Order. This feature was requested by several existing customers and prospects. It was possible to accomplish in the past versions with customizations, but now it is much easier.

Here is how it works:

1. On the eCommerce site you must configure the Made to Order item. 
  2. Within the ERP you must add a field within the Sales Order to accept this information. This requires a customization package. Below we are sharing a template to help you get started.
  3. You must use the entities window to map the eCommerce field to the Sales Order field you must use the entities window to map the fields

More details about each step are below.

Customization Package Template

Attached here is a template customization package. The template, when installed in 21R2, will add a column to the line items within the Sales Order window. The column header is "Personalization", but this can be easily updated in the package. Simply unpack the zip, open the XML file and update the text to the text you prefer.

• DataField and FieldName - these represent the name of the field accepting data in Acumatica.
  • DisplayName - this is the text found in the column header within the Sales Order Window

BigCommerce - adding modifier options to products

BigCommerce Modifiers

Within BigCommerce this is done with modifiers. The BigCommerce modifiers accept strings, booleans or a selector or a multiple selector. Instructions for how to use modifiers - 

• BigCommerce Docs on Modifiers - https://support.bigcommerce.com/s/article/Product-Options-v3?language=en_US#customizations

Shopify - adding line item properties

Shopify Line Item Properties - UI Element Designer

Within Shopify this is done with Line Item Properties. The Shopify Line Item Properties are a core feature of Shopify, however, the fields for accepting custom data are added on the theming layer.

Acumatica Entities Window

Once your fields are configured in eCommerce and the package is installed in Acumatica, you're ready to map the fields using the Commerce Entities window.

BigCommerce

Acumatica Commerce Entities Window - BigCommerce
  1. Go to Commerce > Entities
  2. Select your store
  3. Select the Sales Order Entity
  4. Ensure your on the Import Mapping tab
  5. Add a row
  6. Target Object: Sales Order > Details > Advanced
  7. Target Field: Transactions.UsrCustomText (update if you've changed the XML in the package)
  8. Source Object: Order Data > Order Product > Orders Products Options
  9. Source Field / Value: Monogram.value ("Monogram" here represents the name of the field label in BigCommerce)

Shopify

Acumatica Commerce Entities Window - Shopify
  1. Go to Commerce > Entities
  2. Select your store
  3. Select the Sales Order Entity
  4. Ensure your on the Import Mapping tab
  5. Add a row
  6. Target Object: Sales Order > Details > Advanced
  7. Target Field: Transactions.UsrCustomText (update if you've changed the XML in the package)
  8. Source Object: Order Data > Line Items > Properties
  9. Source Field / Value: Value

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @josh.fischer can I also use this way for an item having 6 dropdown (personalized)? Some dropdown has 15-20 options.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi @bernadeth58 - so sorry… missed this post till now. 

Great question and the quick answer is, “Yes”, you can technically add multiple “Choose Options” fields and each of those fields could have multiple options within them. 

Each of the option fields will will have their own ID, so when you are updating the customization package (to add the columns to the SO line items) you’ll need to account for all 6 of the customer “instructions” separately.

Curious how this worked out for you and if you have this working. Would love to see it in action.

Thank you! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@josh.fischer , this is amazing. I’m going to use it shortly. Do you know if this will also support file attachments? In BigCommerce, we have a modifier called File Upload:

In case of embroidery, imprinting, etc., we set up BigCommerce to create a preview of the product customization, and we want to bring that into Acumatica, so that whoever is doing a customization would have a point of reference. It’s particularly important when we have more than 1 way or area of customization (say, front or back, top or bottom section, etc.).

Appreciate your response!

Badge

Hi @josh.fischer how can we get all the text from line properties to sync to Acumatica?
It only syncs the 1st line.

The text highlighted in yellow is what we need to see in Acumatica.

Here is what we see in Acumatica

​​​​​​​

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@sams , I’m going to guess that _Color, _Drawer, etc. are all separate metafields. Which means you will have to map them all in the Entities screen, and concatenate for the Note Text field.

Badge

@Yuri Karpenko I am trying to see if I can see what the field names are in Shopify.

I don’t get any more options to map in Acumatica

There is no option for Order Data -. Line Item > Properties > Metafields.

Badge

@Yuri Karpenko If i do an export with a third party app I get it all in one cell.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@sams , I see now - it’s on the line level, not on the order level. I don’t know if you can get all of those values… You might need to customize the connector to cycle through all properties and add them to the ‘Value’. Right now, the connector is just taking the first property (0th element from the array).

Badge

@Yuri Karpenko That would be something I would need help with.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@sams , absolutely. Do you have a VAR you work with? They should be able to build a customization for you.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved