Question

Set up Canadian Province Tax Zones - Not seeing Ability to select Ship To State for Canada Province

• 11 December 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

We are using 22R1 and I am working through setting up Tax Zones and Taxes for GST and HST in Canada. I’m following the https://openuni.acumatica.com/courses/fin/f335-financials-advanced-value-added-taxes/ and this glances over setting up tax zones so that they are specific for a sate of several states.  The example uses canada as a whole, but never specifies how to select the country to match it to the zone.

When I try to set up a Zone for say, Ontario, I expected to see the method described in the help whereby I could could select the state(s) associated with the zone, but all I see is a filter on Zip Code:

Am I missing a step somewhere or a checkbox that would allow me to specify the country and/or province?

Thanks!

Patrick

6 replies

Badge +18

Hello,

There have been changes to Tax Zones recently introduced in 2022 R2: 

From Stay Current documentation:
• On the Tax Zones form, tax zones can be defined more flexibly based on combinations of country, state, and postal code, and ranges of postal codes can be specified. The system supports three types of tax zones:
• Tax zones based on one country or multiple countries. With this type of tax zone, a user can include entire countries in the tax zone.
• Tax zones based on one state or multiple states. A user can assign any combination of states of the same country to this tax zone. With this type, the tax zone consists of the entire state or states.
• Tax zones based on one postal code or multiple postal codes. Multiple ranges of postal codes within the same country can be assigned to this tax zone.

Laura

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @Laura02 We are still on 22R1, but in the process of upgrading to 23R2.  do you know how this was accomplished prior to 22R2?

Badge +18

Hi,

I don’t have specific experience with Canadian taxes.

In the US, tax rates can differ by county or city, so we don’t have just one zone for Florida, for example.  We listed specific zip codes on each line within the Zone. 

Laura

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Laura02 Thanks - the issue has to do with setting up the tax zones for areas outside the US.  22R1 only shows zip codes. I am inquiring with the community about how others handled the Canadian tax zones with 22R1 and earlier.

Badge +18

Hello,

In Version 2022 R1,  if state determines the tax %, set up one Zone per state. Or you may set up one Zone to represent multiple states if two states have the same tax %:

If the tax % is determined by City, then set up separate Tax Zones per city.

If the tax % is determined by Postal Code, this is the situation where the Postal Codes may be listed individually on Zip Codes tab, in version 2022 R1.

Even when Postal Codes are listed on the Tax Zones, presence of Postal Codes does not cause automatic matching of Tax Zone to customer in version 2022 R1. When a Customer or Vendor is added to Acumatica in version 2022 R1, the user will look at the Customer or Vendor Address and select the appropriate Tax Zone from the list:

To make tax zones easier to match by postal code in the past versions, I have created a GI that lists the postal codes with a filtering parameter so Users may enter the postal code and Acumatica will find the Tax Zone.

Next, looking at version 2023 R2, I set up Florida State Sales tax:

Even when the Tax Zone is properly identified with Postal Codes, State, and Country… when adding new customers and vendors, the User is still presented with a choice of all available Tax Zones:

Florida customer, all tax zones visible

I hope this helps you understand how tax zones are configured in different versions of Acumatica, as you wait for others in the community to explain how they handled the Canadian tax zones with 22R1 and earlier.

Cheers!

Laura

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @patrickACA were you able to find a solution? Thank you!

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved