Solved

Import Scenario for Physical Inventory Count

• 27 December 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’m ultimately trying to add each of our 70,000 items to each of a couple hundred fictious locations for purposes of a semi annual full count of our retail store. I know that we can add items one by one (article), but of course that would take ages. 

So, I’m trying to create an import scenario to accomplish the same thing. Here’s what I have so far:

When Importing the excel doc, I get an error that says “the scan action cannot be found”. Does anyone know what this means? Is it not going to let it be updated by import? 

icon

Best answer by gbrazelton14 29 December 2023, 19:21

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@lawsont , check your import scenario mapping again. the last line says Action: Scan.

You probably wanted Action: Save…

But even with that, I’m not sure it will work - I don’t think you can import into the Physical Inventory Count screen.

Userlevel 4
Badge

@lawsont  I do not have a count or a data provider set up to test, but I think you want something more like my screenshot below than your import scenario. Like Yuri, I am not sure if you can import into Physical Inventory Count screen. If not, you might try to import into Physical Inventory Review screen instead. And worst case is do the Excel file upload on your Physical Inventory Review screen.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks, guys. 

I tried importing to Physical Inventory Review as you noted. Fortunately, it worked as intended! However, now we have to import 75k items across 800 locations which is about 60 million rows... I tried importing just one location and it's going on an hour and not completed. Even if it completes in an hour, it would take 33 days to complete. 

I think we’re running up against the fact that Acumatica wasn’t designed to count the way we count where any item could appear in any location when we do the count. Is this just a fool’s errand, or are there any other tricks to exhaust? 

Userlevel 4
Badge

@lawsont  That is a lot of data for sure. I would suggest that you work with your Acumatica reseller on this rather than relying on the community.

Is this actually start-up inventory or actual counting/corrections for item quantities already in your system? The net result of doing Physical Inventory process is actually an Inventory Adjustment that only adjusts items where you are higher or lower than the expected.

If you have actual stock items in your system already, you might want to export that data and focus only on bringing in items that need a quantity change (which hopefully would bring down your number of records drastically). You may also consider not importing via Physical Inventory process, but rather just importing your deltas into Inventory Adjustment, which may be faster to import.

Again, at those kinds of levels of data, your reseller should be assisting.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I can’t imagine trying to work with a count data set that large when I assume most of the combinations of Item/Location would not even have a count associated.

I would generate the counts for what is currently On-Hand and then utilize the “Add” button on the Physical Inventory Review screen to enter the counts.   If you scan a combination (Item/Location/Lot-Serial) which already exists in the count it will increment the Physical Quantity.  If you scan a new combination, it will add a new count row.

Since you are retail, I presume all your items are barcoded.   I would arm the counters with a Chromebook and Bluetooth/Wireless barcode scanner (could probably get out as cheap as $300/counter).

Brett

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved