Solved

Printing Inventory Labels with Zebra Thermal Printer from a MacBook Pro

• 2 February 2024
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

In v2022R2, I have set up a custom label that prints fine when the printer is connected to a Windows computer and printing from that same computer.  The printer needs to be located in a space where there are only  MacBook Pros.  When I print the label from the MacBook Pro to the same Zebra printer now connected to the MacBook Pro, it prints fine to preview but when I send it to the printer, the orientation changes on the output.  I’ve connected to the CUPS interface to set the page size defaults, etc., but that does not fix the issue.  Ideas? 

icon

Best answer by jamesh 6 February 2024, 19:39

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

@brucewarrell96 

Are you printing labels from Acumatica to this printer through Device Hub?  If so, they’ll need to be passed through a windows computer.  Raw formatting will not print properly from any computer without the devicehub installed and configured properly.

Here’s the setup documentation for DeviceHub:
https://help-2021r2.acumatica.com/(W(8))/Help?ScreenId=ShowWiki&pageid=a4d2ad22-f063-4ce7-b760-ad86a0c65c98

If you’re not using Device Hub, then I’m sorry to say, that’s outside of the scope of these forums as that’s the only supported means off printing from the system.

Regards,

James

Userlevel 3
Badge

Yes.  I was trying to resolve without introducing a dedicated print server.  The strange thing is that it was working for about a year and then something changed (OS update?) that “broke” it.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Bruce,

James is not entirely correct.  Asgard Labels is the Fullfiled by Acumatica Labeling solution able to print labels without the Device Hub as we have our own dedicated Cloud Print client compatible with MacOS.  If you want, we could meet up and I’ll send you the client that you can install and I will send a few test Zebra labels to see how it’s going.  It should take around 5 minutes to validate.

Write to me at sbelanger@asgardalliance.com

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Yes.  I was trying to resolve without introducing a dedicated print server.  The strange thing is that it was working for about a year and then something changed (OS update?) that “broke” it.

I would definitely look into what changes took place, either by OS, or Acumatica updates that occurred. Or something as simple as a PDF or file setting on your local computer…? 

As the original author of the DeviceHub program wrote as the solution in this response, a print server could easily be set up on a very inexpensive sub <$200 computer to run all your printers/scanners in the area the Mac’s are using:

Rather than spending a ton of money on a dedicated solution for Mac’s that would need to be maintained separately and isn’t native to Acumatica. 

Just my two cents…. 

@Stéphane Bélanger - Thanks for the information.  That’s good to know there’s a solution out there, however he didn’t mention he was using custom software, just custom labels he was printing directly to the printer on his Mac from.  Using the native print functions from Acumatica is the supported way to accomplish this.  However, your suggested solution might be a better long-term solution depending on his organizations requirements.

Here’s the link to Asgard Alliances’ solution:  https://www.acumatica.com/acumatica-marketplace/asgard-alliance-software-asgard-labels/

Userlevel 3
Badge

@jamesh - thanks for the info.  You mention the inexpensive cost to introduce a device hub computer but there’s also the cost of creating the control files/customization project.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

@brucewarrell96 - There’s no customization project or additional files needed for DeviceHub other than the tool installed on the Windows computer that polls the devices and lets the server know they’re available for printing and sends the print jobs.  Perhaps I’m missing something here?  Can you elaborate? 

Userlevel 3
Badge

@jamesh  How do I tell Acumatica to send the custom label to the Device Hub?  When I print from my MacBook, I only see my local or shared printers in my printers list and not a Device Hub printer.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

@brucewarrell96 
Are you printing the label from an Acumatica screen or from a document on your computer?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Under normal circumstances, you would initiate printing a document from Acumatica by utilizing a Print command from an Action Menu:

From there it would take you to the prepared form:

Once you hit print, it would print the the associated device set up in your user profile:

Userlevel 3
Badge

@jamesh - thanks.  I forgot about the user profile settings.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@jamesh - When I click Print, what do I choose as the destination?  I only see my printers list and not the device hub printers.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

@brucewarrell96 - What screen are you trying to print from?  Can you send a screen shot?

Userlevel 3
Badge

@jamesh - I have a report link:

I then Run Report:

I then click Print from the Preview screen:

I then am presented with my select printer screen.

I have set my Device Hub printer as default and also tried setting the label report to have a default printer:

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Under System Management → Print Jobs

Is anything showing up here?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Nothing.  How are your jobs being sent to Device Hub?  Through the Process Shipments screen?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

It depends on where the print job originates from.  DeviceHub isn’t limited to printing labels but it is limited to print from process screens... I’m not sure what you mean by the “Process Shipments” screen.  Yes, you can print from DeviceHub on this screen as this is where you would print shipment confirmations, packing slips, shipping labels, etc.  

However, if jobs aren’t being sent to print jobs then there may be an underlying issue. Especially if it was working, then all the sudden stopped.  At this point, I’d go ahead and submit a support ticket to Acumatica.  

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved