Solved

Which Calendar does Days of Supply/Consolidation Bucket use?

• 26 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

The MRP whitepaper (which is excellent by the way) has the following diagram

But the paper doesn’t address which calendar is used for counting days. From my testing, it appears that MRP uses (regular) calendar days when looking at consolidating production orders. When looking at consolidating production orders:

1. is that correct
  2. should it use the manufacturing calendar instead?
icon

Best answer by andrestamour43 26 January 2024, 15:41

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@dsimone20 - thank you for that feedback and the question.

Days of supply consolidates based on regular calendar days and is not dependent on a calendar, so this includes weekends holidays, etc. The reason for this is that days of supply can consolidate any type of demand not just production. 

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@andrestamour43 thanks for the quick reply. That makes sense from a system perspective, but our client is trying to consolidate based on “shop days.” The shop is M-Th. During the week they want to consolidate for 3 days. So when set to 3, they end up making the same part on Th and the following M, which they would say is 1 day. Any ideas to accomplish their goal, other than manually consolidating?

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@dsimone20 - nothing comes to my mind on how to consolidate based on “shop days” but would increasing the days of supply to 5 or 7 yield undesirable results?

Is the end goal / problem really to consolidate based on shop days or is it really to reduce the number of times a part is produced? If we can reframe the problem then the possible solutions open up to include minimum order quantity and re-order points. 

I hope this helps, I know it is not directly achieving the goal of consolidating based on shop days - maybe someone else has some thoughts. 

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved