Question

Product Configurator - Feature BOM - Material Routing

• 11 May 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Scenario:

Configuration ID has Features and Options within the Features. The Options have subassembly Inventory IDs with BOMs. These BOMs have Operation Work Centers. Each of these Work Centers has a material list of items that need to go to that Work Center. The Work Centers in this BOM match the Work Centers in the Configuration ID BOM ID. These materials, for the most part, are all stocked, finished goods.

The materials within these Work Centers, should be rolled up/added to the Work Centers of the Configuration ID BOM ID.

When using Phantom routing “Exclude” it ignores the operation Work Centers of the subassembly BOM and adds the material to the Operation ID of the Feature Option. This, adds the materials to the WRONG Work Center.

When using Phantom routing “After” it adds the operation Work Centers of the subassembly BOM and adds DUPLICATE Work Centers for each Work Center of each Option BOM selected. I assume that “Before” will do the same, but add the Operation Work Center, as a duplicate, before the Operation ID of the Option.

Does anyone know, if there is a settings or a way, to have the materials of the Option BOM be rolled up into the same Work Center as the Configuration ID BOM ID?

This is really frustrating. If there is not a way, then we will either have duplicates of the same Operation Work Center or Materials added to the wrong Work Center. Either way, it requires a lot of clean up before we can release the production order. Releasing the production order in either state would cause massive confusion in the warehouse and shop floor.

Ideas?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

This seems similar to another discussion topic - does this help?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@nathantrauscht - I reached out to your partner to see if they could help you out. This one is a little more complex than a simple reply. 

Let us know if you need more!

Debbie

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@Debbie Baldwin I appreciate your reaching out to our partner, I did reach out them as well this morning and they are looking into it. Want to try any avenue we can to if we can get it to work how we need.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Good morning,

My question is what work center is the option linked to?  You state that it’s adding the material to the wrong work center.  When you list the operation ID for the Option under Feature, Acumatica is looking to the BOM of the configured product for the operation ID then applies the work center.  It sounds like you may need to alter your BOM and reference the operation to the work center you want (for the subassembly).  Let me know if this helps.

Eric

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@ericwolfe74 What we need it to do is bring over the work center from the subassembly BOM and the regular materials of the subassembly BOM. After and Before bring in the work centers of the subassembly BOM and the materials. But, it creates these work centers as duplicates. Thus, Work Center ‘X’ might appear in the configured production details 5 times with different operation IDs. We don’t want this, because it’s the same work center and should be the same operation ID.

We need it to “Roll Up” the materials and hours into the matching work center of the configuration BOM. The option operation ID work center is irrelevant because what matters is the work centers in the subassembly BOM of the option.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @nathantrauscht were you able to find a solution? Thank you!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@nathantrauscht I think @ericwolfe74 may be on to something, but your use case may be different than what I understand about your business at this point.  What if your base configuration BOM had the operations you were looking for in the end for your production order, and then you can phantom exclude your option BOMs into that base configuration BOM.

Concerning your desire to have the configurator sum up the labor hours from the base configuration plus the hours from the option BOM, that I don’t think is possible.  I’m trying to come up with a solution for our trailer manufacturing company, which has many option BOMs with run time.  Those options are installed at various work centers in our base configuration BOM, so if operation 10 in work center A in our base configuration has 10 hours of run time, and the customer asks for option X (which adds 5 hours run time in work center A and 2 hours run time in work center B), I wish the configurator could sum up the 10 + 5 hours run time for work center A in the base configuration BOM.  Further it would be amazing if the option BOM could be mapped to multiple operations in the base configuration BOM.  So continuing with the example above, the 2 hours run time in work center B would be added to the existing run time in work center B in the base configuration BOM.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Sounds like you want the configurator to add the labor operations and their time to various operations in the base configuration production order.  The configurator can add materials based on options but the time to create the options would lie with their BOMs.  You could add a non-stock item for labor that would be added when a specific option was selected and this could specify the operation(s) the labor would be added to.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved