Solved

MRP vs Inventory Replenishments - Which one to use for a manufacturer?

• 29 March 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

What is the best practice when it comes to Inventory Replenishments versus MRP. In what cases does it make sense to utilize IN replenishments and in what cases does it make more sense to use MRP?

If I am implementing MRP for a client, then should I even utilize IN replenishments or utilize MPR Only?

From my understanding, it sees I should use IN Replenishments for items that have nothing to do with a BOM. 

For any item (FS, Sub Assembly, Raw Material) that’s included in a BOM, it seems that MRP is better suited for such stock-items. 

Wondering how other consultants approach this. 

icon

Best answer by eshahid98 30 March 2022, 16:19

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @eshahid98 

I think it depends on your client. We have a client currently who was using Replenishment because they did not have the Manufacturing Module when they first implemented Acumatica. They should have got that module but didn’t (we didn’t implement their first time). They are now redoing their whole system with the Manufacturing and will be using MRP because they do manufacture. 

I think the biggest difference is if they manufacture their own items versus directly order. Using MRP will help with BOMs and better calculating of what is needed. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks @kbeatty21 . Would you have them only use MRP or a combination of IN Replenishment and MRP? 

When you configure for MRP, do you configured under Stock Item screen → MANUFACTURING tab only or do you configured under REPLENISHMENT tab and then override on MANUFACTURING tab as needed?

I found that any item with a replenishment class assigned under REPLENISHMENT tab may get picked up by the Prepare Replenishments screen. To avoid this from happening for mfg (FG or Components) related items, it seems I should not assign any replenishment class and only utilize the MANUFACTURING tab. 

For items that are not mfg related and purchased to stock as goods for sale, it seems for these items I should be setting up the Stock Item → REPLENISHMENT tab as they won’t get picked up by the MRP. 

Would you agree with my understanding?

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Thanks @kbeatty21 . Would you have them only use MRP or a combination of IN Replenishment and MRP? 

When you configure for MRP, do you configured under Stock Item screen → MANUFACTURING tab only or do you configured under REPLENISHMENT tab and then override on MANUFACTURING tab as needed?

I found that any item with a replenishment class assigned under REPLENISHMENT tab may get picked up by the Prepare Replenishments screen. To avoid this from happening for mfg (FG or Components) related items, it seems I should not assign any replenishment class and only utilize the MANUFACTURING tab. 

For items that are not mfg related and purchased to stock as goods for sale, it seems for these items I should be setting up the Stock Item → REPLENISHMENT tab as they won’t get picked up by the MRP. 

Would you agree with my understanding?

Thanks.

You are correct, that is what I have found as well. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks @kbeatty21 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

There is another thread about this, but the basics are replenishment and MRP do not play nicely together because they look at the same information and interpret it in different ways.  This one might be a good read https://community.acumatica.com/topic/show?tid=5765&fid=89

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved