Solved

Manufacturing that requires flexible work centers for capacity planning

• 21 March 2023
  • 3 replies

We have a manufacturing prospect that produces thermoplastic products using the roto-molding process. This allows one or multiple products to be indexed and manufactured on the same machine. I need help figuring out a way to set up work centers to optimize machine efficiency and production schedule.

In a nutshell, the molding machine is on a carousel with 3 indexing arms - one for unloading FG/loading materials, one for heating/molding, and one for cooling. For large-size products, each arm can only handle one unit of one SKU. For medium-size products, each arm can handle 2 units (i.e., a 2 x 1 unit configuration) of the same or 2 different SKUs. For small-size products, each arm can handle up to 10 units (i.e., 2 x 5 units) of the same or 2 different SKUs. Using a dumbbell analogy, I can load 4 x 5lb plates on one side and 2 x 10lb plates on the other.

In short, we can have 1 but potentially up to 6 production orders running on the same machine. For a given BOM, each of the 3 operations (assuming comparable setup time, run time, machine time, queue time, and finish time) can have:

• WC-L for 1 run unit
  • WC-M for 2 run units
  • WC-S for 10 run units  

The point I am struggling with is how to schedule production with a fixed block that has varying production capacity, depending on the chosen work center. In another word, can scheduling be based on block size and product size?

icon

Best answer by angierowley75 22 March 2023, 20:43

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

This is a fairly complex scheduling request, have you checked out the Acumatica Marketplace for best of breed scheduling solutions?

@angierowley75 Thanks for your response. I come across Netstock IBP in the Marketplace and am waiting to hear back from them. Feel free to suggest other ISV if I missed other scheduling solutions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Netstock IBP is a good one to evaluate - other options:  Protected Flow for Manufacturing & Lynq

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved