Question

Linking a Sales Order and a Production Order to the same Purchase Order - Any ideas how to overcome this?

• 30 September 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi all

We have a scenario where we have e.g. a PO for 1000 of Item A.  As soon as we link 10 of that item on a Production Order to that PO, the remaining qty on the PO (Qty:990) is no longer visible for a SO to link to it.  It also doesn’t appear in the Replenishment routine.  Our replen says to order in 1000 to top back up to max even though we have 990 free on order.

This is causing us all sorts of problems with over ordering or splitting lines on the PO.  Has anyone overcome this?  It is something that Acumatica know about but are not planning to change from the communication I’ve had with them.

I’d welcome any other suggestions on how we can handle Production Order and a SO needing to link to the same bulk PO.

Thanks for reading.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I hear you on this one! There are quite a few times when you would want to buy in bulk, but allocate a portion to a production order or sales order. You then don’t want to go out and purchase more in bulk!  If you are using replenishment and you use the dependent button, you may be able to resolve this, but I would have to do some tests with the links. (i don’t think it would work, though)

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @Barryedbrooke - were you able to find a solution? Thank you!

Hi @Barryedbrooke - were you able to find a solution? Thank you!

Unfortunately, no.  We’ve had to pay for a customisation to be created that allows us to view PO’s that are part allocated to a Production Order and “soft” allocate SO requirement against the PO.  By soft allocate I mean we can type in a qty in a field that shows how many is required for a SO, that field is visible to all so whilst it doesn't factor in any replenishment calculations, it gives the sales team an idea of what free qty is on a PO if a Production Order has been linked to it.

It seems a gap in Acumatica when businesses can order in items for the Production Team (via a Production Order) but can also sell those items to customers.  In Acumatica, these processes have been segregated and as soon as you link one, it disappears from the other.

As a furniture manufacturer this is quite cumbersome to manage.  For example, we may order in a table in a raw state and sell these to a customer as they are.  We also may order in these same raw table and send them to the production team for staining for another customer.  I can only link one or the other (Prd Order or Sales Order), not both.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Barryedbrooke - were you able to find a solution? Thank you!

Unfortunately, no.  We’ve had to pay for a customisation to be created that allows us to view PO’s that are part allocated to a Production Order and “soft” allocate SO requirement against the PO.  By soft allocate I mean we can type in a qty in a field that shows how many is required for a SO, that field is visible to all so whilst it doesn't factor in any replenishment calculations, it gives the sales team an idea of what free qty is on a PO if a Production Order has been linked to it.

It seems a gap in Acumatica when businesses can order in items for the Production Team (via a Production Order) but can also sell those items to customers.  In Acumatica, these processes have been segregated and as soon as you link one, it disappears from the other.

As a furniture manufacturer this is quite cumbersome to manage.  For example, we may order in a table in a raw state and sell these to a customer as they are.  We also may order in these same raw table and send them to the production team for staining for another customer.  I can only link one or the other (Prd Order or Sales Order), not both.

I know this does not help after you paid for a customization, but you could always submit this to Acumatica for a future release as an idea. 

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved