Solved

Advanced Planning and Scheduling : Threaded Scheduling?

• 23 August 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

We’re working through our implementation of the Advanced Planning and Scheduling module. We’ve successfully setup a few BoMs, Machines, Calendars, etc AND have managed to schedule test orders with predictable results. several wins all around BUT there’s something we might be missing…

Threaded Scheduling ( I made that name up )

When scheduling a large order where individual Operations span multiple days we’ve noticed that it’s all scheduled logically as one long plan, not ideal for our environment.

Let’s try this scenario...

Assumptions : Operation 1 references a Work Center that resides in Warehouse A. Operation 2 references a Work Center that resides in Warehouse A, though we may opt to move Operation 2 into a different Warehouse within the same building.

Scenario : We need to make 100 widgets and the BoM has two Operations. Operation 1 takes five days to complete and each day it completes 20 widgets. Operation 2 takes five days to complete and each day it completes 20 widgets.

Observation : At this moment, Acumatica will schedule 10 distinct calendar days of production. What’s curious is that the system doesn’t seem to allocate a number of units to any part of the schedule but rather time and only time. I hope I’m wrong...

Desire / Goal : Operation 2 should be able to start on the second day of Operation 1 since 20 widgets have been completed by Operation 1 do the total number of days, in this model, would be 6.

Questions : 

• Can we get Acumatica to do this?
  • If so then maybe someone can point us in the right direction?
  • Is there something to my inability to find widgets being associated with the schedule, is it a me thing or am I seeing things correctly?
    • Please appreciate that the above mentioned “Goal” is what we’re used to, a system that calculates the time, schedules according and can associates a number of widget to the schedule record. 

What we haven’t yet tested…

Does it make a difference if the Operations reference Work Centers that are in the same or different warehouses.

Thoughts and ideas of all sorts are welcome.

Thank-you! ;-)

icon

Best answer by angierowley75 24 August 2023, 15:50

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

APS does not yet support overlapping operations at this time.  There is an existing enhancement request - please add your vote and Use Case

Userlevel 2
Badge

@angierowley75 thank you very much for your response… yes, I’ve up-voted support for parallel scheduling!

We have a few different scheduling models we leverage, guess my next magic trick will be to see how I can make this work, despite.

;-)

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved