Solved

Import Scenario vs GI Update All

• 26 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

I have a need to update all of my inventory and customers for the incoming integration of Avalara. I can do this either via an Import Scenario or using the General Inquiry feature Update All.

What are the advantages / disadvantages of doing one over the other?

Import Scenario may have better error reporting for any that may fail.

Generic Inquiry: Update All advantage would be a much quicker and easier solution, not having to build the import scenarios or export all of the needed data to use with the import scenario.

Currently using Acumatica 2022 R2, for reference.

icon

Best answer by jamesh 26 January 2024, 23:00

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Both the Import Scenario and the Generic Inquiry's Update All have their strengths and weaknesses, so I’ll break them down for you since I’m a former Avalara customer.  ;) 

Import Scenario:

• Pros:

• Offers detailed error reporting, crucial for identifying and resolving import issues.
    • Highly flexible, allowing for custom data import processes, including complex mappings or transformations.
    • Reusable for future imports, saving time and effort in the long run.
  • Cons:

• Complex setup, requiring a good grasp of your data and Acumatica's DAC’s
    • Initial setup can be time-consuming, especially if your data needs significant preparation.

Generic Inquiry (Update All):

• Pros:

• Simple and fast, perfect for bulk updates without the complexity of an import scenario.
    • Immediate application of updates, ideal if you need changes to reflect instantly.
  • Cons:

• Limited error handling compared to Import Scenarios, which can be problematic for complex data sets.
    • Less control over data manipulation and mapping than what Import Scenarios offer.

When making your decision, consider:

• Data Complexity: An Import Scenario is better for complex data needing specific mappings or transformations. You can easily manipulate the data in Excel then import.
  • Update Frequency: While Generic Inquiry is suitable for one-time updates, an Import Scenario is preferable for regular data updates.
  • Error Handling: If detailed error reporting is crucial, an Import Scenario is recommended.
  • Resource Availability: For immediate and straightforward updates, Generic Inquiry is convenient. However, if your needs are more complex and you can allocate the necessary resources, an Import Scenario is worth the investment.

Given the intricacy of data and the potential need for regular updates, especially when integrating with systems like Avalara, setting up a comprehensive Import Scenario could offer more benefits in the long run. It might require more upfront effort, but it pays off with more control, better error handling, and potential time savings for future updates.  

If there are more questions or if further clarification is needed, feel free to ask!

Cheers!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thank you @jamesh! That was the thought line I was going down, although much better explained by you.

Since I do have a good understanding of Import Scenarios, I’ll probably go that route just for the error reporting. Even though the changes are relatively simple (updating Customer Tax Zone and Inventory Tax Category).

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved