Solved

Customer ID/Vendor ID same - getting import error

• 13 September 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

I am getting an error that says I cannot have the same customer id and vendor id during import.  Some customers and vendors have the same id.  Why is this an error or is there a setting to allow this?

IS - customer 1 has a code of ADV001 and vendor 1 has a code of ADV001.  No relationship between customer and vendor. 

Thanks,

Nirav S.

icon

Best answer by Kandy Beatty 13 September 2022, 17:23

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

HI @nshah90 

The only way a customer and vendor can have the same ID is if they are the same account. Otherwise, you will need to use different identifiers for customers and vendors. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@nshah90 As @kbeatty21 mentioned this type of naming convention will cause issues as you are seeing.

Can you explain the reasoning behind needing to use the same number sequence for both Vendor and Customer?

If they are totally unrelated then this should be reflected in the ID of the customer, otherwise I think it would be very confusing to know if you are looking at AP or AR data at a glance, not to mention the issues with importing and reporting.

Userlevel 4
Badge

customers, vendors, employees and branches all use business accounts as a parent segmented key. 

In short, this allows you to extend vendors to AR to use them as customers. To extend customers to AP to use them as vendors, and it enables arms length intercompany accounting transactions by extending branch records as a corresponding vendor or customer.  

This opens the system up more than it limits it. You just need to use separate IDs for any customers, vendors, branches and employees. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thank you all for your answers.  The reasoning makes sense to keep them separated.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved