Solved

Trial Balance not suppressing zeros

• 20 September 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello there

I am trying to run the TB without suppressing zero balances so that I can make an excel sheet mapping to all my  accounts (regardless of the balance)  to build my own P&L and Balance Sheet. I have never managed to get this done within the application and don’t like the look of it anyway.

So I have done this for the first month of our accounting year and have unticked suppress zero balances and yet accounts which have no entries are actually suppressed. What is going on I feel as if Acumatica is always trying to trick me!

Is it only the Balance Sheet that this tick box responds to…?

Best Regards All

icon

Best answer by Laura02 21 September 2023, 13:40

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

HI @Malinda278 

Has the Trial Balance report been modified? Are there any additional sort and filters on?

Badge +18

Hello @Malinda278 ,

The Trial Balance Reports will include only accounts that have had some activity, even when Zeros are not suppressed.  Accounts that never had a transaction will not show on the  standard  Trial Balance reports, without customization.

Example:

My Demo database has activity in only 4 accounts, resulting in a $0 entry to YTD Net Income/Retained Earnings:

I recommend that you use ARM Reports, the financial report design screens in Preferences section of Finance module, to design your Balance Sheet and P & L .With ARM report designs, we can easily include Accounts that have no activity.

For example, to list ALL accounts, Trial Balance-style, you need only one Row in the report:

(Maybe you will add 2nd line: Total.)

HTH,

Laura

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks very much Laura

So if I want to see the balance on all accounts YTD for any given period regardless if any activity has taken place is there standard report do you think that does this?

I have tried to write my own reports within Acumatica  but I can’t get the column set up correct to do month and YTD whereas in excel it is very easy for me. I have no experience in writing computer language and I feel it is beyond me to be honest. 

Best Regards

Malinda

Badge +18

Hi Malinda,

If I can create financial reports with ARM, you can do it too!  (I don’t write code.) 

Look for videos on Y ou T ube and Acumatica Open University, or  ask your partner for training.

For the Columns, I recommend starting by copying one of the demo Columns. The Demo reports that come with Acumatica show us the most common total formulas, like this example where I highlighted yellow:

Look at the Standard P & L and Balance Sheet.  Acumatica standard reports probably are hiding lines with no activity or with $0 but it is simple to show all lines: Clear the Suppress Empty column:

Laura

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello Laura

I managed to get the Rows in OK just using trial and error , it was the column headings which could show the month and YTD for the Financial year and with the Balance Sheet bringing forward opening balances as well. This was a while ago when I first starting working with the system, the company and me were new to this software. However we never had demo reports for me to look at for help with the columns. I think I just got a bit frustrated which is why I just decided to map my TB to a excel sheet to solve my problem. I think I should chase the demo reports really and try and find out why I did not have them to use as a prompt, and try and keep some momentum going with getting the system to do the work.

Thanks again

Malinda

Userlevel 2

I’m just here to rant!   

I’m having this same issue.  I uncheck “suppress zero balances”.  Seems like that should give me a trial balance with EVERY account in my chart of accounts.  Cool, that would make spreadsheet manipulation easy as you move from month to month.  But no.  Acumatica doesn’t act that way.  

The trial balance appears to be based on a data table called GLHistory and that table only contains data if there is activity in a period.  

What garbage.  

Sure this minimizes the data in that table but the result is reports like the trial balance that are incredible difficult to work with.

I’ve worked with other systems (Peoplesoft, SAB, Dynamics) and they all have a configuration option to have the history table populated with EVERY element regardless of if there is activity.

Like I said, I don’t have a resolution but maybe if enough people yell about this Acumatica will do something about it.

Badge +18

Hello @Malinda278 ,

Your VAR can load the Demo reports for you. If any of your tenants shows the demo reports, they can be copied from one tenant to another using Clipboard functions Export/Import to XML.  Its also possible that Roles/Access rights are preventing you from seeing the Demo reports on the menu, or possibly the menu was modified to move the demo reports from the menu. (In this last case they can be added back with [...] Menu Edit in lower left corner (administrators role only).

@Malinda278, please consider adding your idea to the Ideas section of this community so that people may vote for its inclusion in future versions. Thank you.

Laura

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’m just here to rant!   

I’m having this same issue.  I uncheck “suppress zero balances”.  Seems like that should give me a trial balance with EVERY account in my chart of accounts.  Cool, that would make spreadsheet manipulation easy as you move from month to month.  But no.  Acumatica doesn’t act that way.  

The trial balance appears to be based on a data table called GLHistory and that table only contains data if there is activity in a period.  

What garbage.  

Sure this minimizes the data in that table but the result is reports like the trial balance that are incredible difficult to work with.

I’ve worked with other systems (Peoplesoft, SAB, Dynamics) and they all have a configuration option to have the history table populated with EVERY element regardless of if there is activity.

Like I said, I don’t have a resolution but maybe if enough people yell about this Acumatica will do something about it.

Hello there

I’m not sure the rant will make a difference, but I empathise and it’s always helpful to know someone else is in rant mood :)

Malinda

Userlevel 3
Badge

R Harrison

I have you shared the idea of having the TB work in the way we want in the ideas area? I have not yet done so but wonder if it’s a good idea?

Malinda

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved