Solved

subaccount vs. subaccount value

• 21 April 2022
  • 1 reply

What is the difference between the SUBACCOUNT segment and a subaccount? ..and how are they used within Acumatica? Currently I have 2 segments in SUBACCOUNT (Location and Service Type). 

If I go to GL20300 I also see Subaccounts. Are these the same thing?

What I am wanting to do is create GL subaccounts for balance sheet accounts. For example, I’d like a separate subaccount for each loan under LT Liabilities, separate asset/depreciation accounts for each asset under PPE, etc. How is that best done?

icon

Best answer by Laura02 21 April 2022, 21:12

View original

1 reply

Badge +18

Hello,

Some systems have “Accounts” that are headers, titles in the chart of accounts and more specific accounts that they call “subaccounts”. For example Fixed Assets could be called an Account in other systems while Furniture, Buildings, Improvements are called Subaccounts. This is different from Acumatica. In Acumatica the Account and the subaccount are two totally separate fields.

In Acumatica, Subaccounts are secondary posting accounts that allow us to further classify transactions. What can subaccounts be used to represent?  Company Departments, Divisions, Locations, Regions, Store Numbers and Business Lines are some ideas that I have seen before.

Segments allow us to use more than one of the above ideas; for example, a store could be located in a region and the store could have departments. Usually the segments will move from larger to smaller like Region-Store-Department.

Using subaccounts along with accounts on transactions allows for more detailed reporting out of the General Ledger. 

Subaccounts are not required in Acumatica. Subaccounts can have just one segment, or may have many. I usually recommend keeping them as simple as you can, fewer segments, so long as you can report on all the business segments that you need.

When designing financial reports with subaccounts, you can have the Full P & L with regions, departments, divisions, locations, stores, etc. as columns across the page.  A good subaccount design facilitates powerful reporting options on the financials.

Your question: “For example, I’d like a separate subaccount for each loan under LT Liabilities, separate asset/depreciation accounts for each asset under PPE, etc. How is that best done? “

This is best done with accounts IMO. Ideally you want Acumatica Subaccounts that can be connected with any Account on the COA for granular posting in many types of transactions from different modules.

HTH

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved