Question

Restriction Groups to prevent listing of GL account amount on report or GI

• 23 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2

We are currently on 22r2 and will move to 24r1 soon.

We have the need to stop users from seeing and being able to drill down into certain accounts on the P&L by branch report.  The users are all in the same branch, but not the same “department”.  They should not be able to see wages for the branch management (highest priority), and preferably not other departments in their branch (secondary concern).

I have set up a restriction group and assigned only top management and finance to the group.  I have also assigned the specific sub accounts, and then the specific GL account, to the RG as well.

The result is that the user can access the P&L by department, see the Wages listed on the P&L in total form.  Further, then can click on the amount and drill into the Wages amount, seeing the restricted account detail, as well as the associated subaccounts, some of which are restricted also.

I have read the help text documentation and understand that for performance reasons, this is the result, where data on reports or GI’s will still show regardless of if they are restricted or not.  However, this does not help us.

We need the managers to be able to view their P&L and be able to drill into accounts.  If there is a way to prevent drilldown into the wages category, or if there is a way to present it in a summarized fashion and block the display of the finer details, that would be wonderful.

Is there a solution?  Did I miss something on my setup?  Is there another method to provide the information we do and do not want them to see.

2 replies

Badge +18

Hello,

There is a setting in the Report Definition for financial statements:  Finance → Preferences → Report Definitions, shown below. Is Apply Restriction Groups checked ON for your P & L reports?

Check ON “Apply Restriction Groups”

Laura

Badge +18

I’m still thinking about this question. I think applying restriction groups may remove the accounts from the Profit and Loss report entirely. (Not just removing drill-down.)

We can remove rights to the second report that shows drill-down… but if we remove the detail report, no drill down will appear, not even for accounts the user is permitted to see.

I will keep pondering your question. Maybe someone else will add ideas. 

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved