Solved

Non Validated Subaccount's Segment restriction

• 9 May 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, We have  a client with Segment Keys setup as shows in the screenshot below where the Segment ID 3, 4 and 6 are non Validating segments.

The client would like to disallow Blanks or 0’s in these Non Validating Segments. Any idea if this is possible?

We cannot enable validation for these segments as the list grows every day. 

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Laura02 9 May 2023, 14:13

View original

5 replies

Badge +18

Hello,

Did you already experiment with different Edit Mask to see whether any other Edit Mask besides Unicode will prohibit zero and blank?

If you did experiment, and no other Edit Mask prohibits blank and zero, then I think you will need some customization to accomplish the request.

We can validate the subaccount as a whole, instead of segment by segment. I can’t tell if you are already looking up by Segmented Key and not allowing adding new values on the fly, because the top of Segmented Keys screen is cut off in your screenshot.

When Segmented Keys are configured as shown above with Lookup Mode by Segmented Key and Allow Adding New Values on the Fly not checked, Subaccounts must be entered directly in the Subaccount screen before being used in Transactions. Requiring subaccounts to be entered as a whole in Subaccount screen before being used in transactions means you may control access to the screen and make sure that only trained staff are able to add new correct subaccount combinations into the subaccount screen.

However, you state that many segments, new combinations are added per day. Using subaccounts as shown above may be inconvenient for you because of volume. In this case, you may be able to add a customization to certain segments to prohibit only blank and zeros.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

First, I’m not sure it is wise to have 26 characters long Subaccount. Who is going to enter all these characters. If I were their advisor I would recommend aggregating segments in question (3, 4, and 6) which are their Business Accounts into 1 segment but would add a new segment call it BA Identifier V: Vendor C: Customer and P: Parent. It will decrease the length almost to half and will serve the same purpose.

Second, the out of box Edit Mask doesn’t have an option to prevent Space and Zero but allow 1-9 as 0 is s member of Numeric/Alphanumeric. It will require customization on “Subaccount” screen for this purpose

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

First, I’m not sure it is wise to have 26 characters long Subaccount. Who is going to enter all these characters. If I were their advisor I would recommend aggregating segments in question (3, 4, and 6) which are their Business Accounts into 1 segment but would add a new segment call it BA Identifier V: Vendor C: Customer and P: Parent. It will decrease the length almost to half and will serve the same purpose.

Second, the out of box Edit Mask doesn’t have an option to prevent Space and Zero but allow 1-9 as 0 is s member of Numeric/Alphanumeric. It will require customization on “Subaccount” screen for this purpose

I have to agree with @aaghaei here, subaccounts that are long like that can become trouble and confusing to end users. I would proceed with caution on how this is handled. 

Badge +18

Hello @aahmed ,

@aaghaei is correct to question length and # segments in the subaccount. I agree with him.

We don’t need to add Customer or Vendor into GL Subaccount, because Acumatica already adds Customer and Vendor to every GL Transaction where appropriate. Duplication of data fields that are already recorded by the system makes the subaccount unwieldy, unworkable, inconvenient, etc.

Userlevel 1

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I acknowledge that the Subaccount length seems long, However, The inclusion of the Parent, Customer, and Vendors segments is vital for the details data analysis required by the client in order to generate the required reports.

The client imports the invoices from other system  so they are able to effectively manage this lengthy subaccount without any difficulties.

We will explore the possibility of customization as a potential solution.

Thanks again for your input.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved