Skip to main content

I’m hoping to find other Acumatica community members who utilize the multi-base currency tenant feature in Acumatica.  The company I am the Director of Finance for started using Acumatica in 2022 and went live on 2021 R2. We have four companies worldwide, each with their own base currencies, USD, GBP, EUR and HKD.  When we were sold Acumatica, there wasn’t much talk or offerings surrounding the multi-base currency feature and even Acumatica had a warning label on it that it was still relatively new.  We started out by creating 4 tenants with 4 different base currencies, but our companies are so integrated in day-to-day sales and operations that this became such a hurdle for us.  When we upgraded to 2022 R2, we created a development environment to start testing out the multi-base currency feature and quickly found out that many of the great things about having multiple companies within one tenant were taken away with the activation of this feature.  Transfer orders, intercompany transactions, being able to utilize a customer profile or a vendor profile across multiple companies.  This only works if the companies all have the same base currency, otherwise for customers and vendors, it forces restriction to a specific branch.   I had suggested to our Enterprise Management Resource team something that could help overcome this, but not sure they took me very seriously.  Which I don’t blame them, hearing one idea (not properly documented or vetted) from one customer isn’t necessarily enough for them to jump into adding it to their roadmap for enhanced capabilities. 

Their reasoning was that each customer and vendor have financial information displayed in base currency (I’m sure there are other reasons, but this was the main one they gave me).  You need to restrict the customer or vendor to a branch, so it knows what currency to display the financial data in.  My suggestion was to make currency ID required for every vendor and customer account.  Right now, it’s not required.  If one is not set, then it defaults to the base currency of the branch in the transaction and cannot be changed unless you have override currency enabled.    If you were to make this field required, then you can report the financial data in the currency set on the account, and not the base currency.  The system knows what currency the transaction happened in, it knows what branch the transaction happened in, it knows the date and it would have already required a currency rate be defined for that conversion, so all it needs to do when it wants to show transactions in base currency on reports is just have those 4 pieces of data (Transaction currency, Base currency of Branch ID of that transaction, effective currency rate and transaction date).  I 100% know I’m oversimplifying this, but wanted to gauge how many other companies use this feature and if they also find themselves in a similar position.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read and respond to this post.

Be the first to reply!