Solved

Is there a way to convert companies to branches?

• 1 December 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

One of our companies is now becoming a branch of another one of our companies. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by aaghaei 3 December 2023, 04:07

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

hI @mitchellk 

I found similar article 

Check once

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@mitchellk if you are looking for a function inside the system then the answer is no you can not. But, if you consider the below two facts then you will realize with a small Customization you can convert company to branch.

1. Even if you setup a company without branch, Acumatica will create a branch behind the scene.
  2. What is used in transactional records or even master records, all point to branches not companies. In fact unless you have customization which is developed otherwise or some very specific functions, there is no link to companies.

With this being said, if you update the hidden branch link (OrganizationID) to point to the new company instead of the company which was created originally without branch, you are all set. This need to be done either behind the scene or using a customization package. No need to say that I suggest first do it in a local or Sandbox environment then on your live.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@mitchellk if you are looking for a function inside the system then the answer is no you can not. But, if you consider the below two facts then you will realize with a small Customization you can convert company to branch.

1. Even if you setup a company without branch, Acumatica will create a branch behind the scene.
  2. What is used in transactional records or even master records, all point to branches not companies. In fact unless you have customization which is developed otherwise or some very specific functions, there is no link to companies.

With this being said, if you update the hidden branch link (OrganizationID) to point to the new company instead of the company which was created originally without branch, you are all set. This need to be done either behind the scene or using a customization package. No need to say that I suggest first do it in a local or Sandbox environment then on your live.

Nice idea @aaghaei, I agree I would test locally or in a Sandbox but the idea is sound. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Robert Sternberg im pretty positive it will work but please provide your test result and and SQL script you write here for community reference as I’m sure there will be more people in the future facing the same challenge. Thank you.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved