Solved

Company vs Tenant

• 8 March 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello, I just had a quick question to better understand Companies vs Tenants in Acumatica. I know that Tenants are fully separate legal entities. However, when researching I see that multiple companies under one tenant share at least base currency and chart of accounts. When setting up a multi company user, I also see they share all business accounts, inventory, posting classes, etc… From the looks of it they also share numbering sequences between them. Am I correct in understanding this? Is there a way to have each company use their own numbering sequences for invoices\bills\sales orders\purchase orders? They seem to share the same preferences between the companies so I cannot set it there. Is there a built in way to keep the transaction numbers separate with their own numbering sequences? Sorry if this has been answered before, I was unable to locate anything on this. 

icon

Best answer by Laura02 8 March 2024, 18:48

View original

4 replies

Badge +18

Hello,

I think Tenants are like separate databases (they can’t “see” each other; nothing is shared between two tenants).

Companies and Branches within a tenant may be separate legal entities or locations of one legal entity.

To configure different numbering sequences for companies and/or branches within one tenant, use the Branch column of Numbering Sequences screen to add identifying digit(s) in front of Numbers for any Numbering sequence:

Laura

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

In addition to what Laura posted about, you can also restrict Customers and Vendors by Company and Branch.  Below is the link to the documentation about Vendor Restriction (and Customer Restriction is right above it currently in the chapters)
https://help.acumatica.com/(W(4))/Help?ScreenId=ShowWiki&pageid=d9fd61fa-756c-4e3d-9ae0-4ba9ba51dbd2 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Also tenants are useful to create test databases. You can clone your company tenant and create a test tenant to test changes or updates. As @AJohnson mentioned tenants are separate databases and changes made to the test tenant will not affect your company tenant. 

For big imports I will import to the test tenant first to make sure it will not cause any issues to our company tenant. 

Userlevel 1

Thanks everyone, exactly what I needed all around. 

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved