Solved

Best way to manage sales tax?

• 27 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi, we are currently implementing Acumatica and are trying to figure out the best way to manage sales taxes. We have a very small 4 person accounting team. The maintenance that is required in Acumatica for sales taxes seems like it could be a full time job. Can anyone shed some light on how much time it takes to manage the sales taxes through Acumatica without a product like Avalara? 

Has anyone used a partner besides Avalara or Vertex to manage sales taxes? 

icon

Best answer by marina25 28 June 2023, 15:29

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Good morning,

TaxJar is another ISV that can assist with sales tax management. My experienced opinion, if your small team has to manage greater than 10 states with various municipalities, counties, and cities, then external ISV is the most time efficient and risk reduced because of all their reporting that can help to avoid unnecessary audits. If it is just couple of states, then it is fairly manageable. If you want to reach out, please let me know. 

Do you accrue use tax?

We are working with Acumatica to get started but are still going there the demos and final questions stage.  Today the sales tax rates came up because in Acumatica they are manually entered and updates.  We are currently using QuickBooks and those rates automatically get updated. 

We only sell within California and only file one return.  Is there a software that would take care of just automatically updating the rates? Or is there a solution within Acumatica to help with this??

Help/advice is greatly appreciated!

I’m using the Acumatica sales tax module and remit to four states.  I’m not sure I’m using the module to its fullest capacity but it is manageable for our four person team.  For full disclosure, we use a modification for sales tax because the majority of our invoicing will be customer pick up at our warehouses and Acumatica tax defaults to the tax zone in the customer record (usually the customer mailing address).  The mod helps with charging the correct sales tax but mods always come with their own challenges.  

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved