Solved

Accounting groups not available what other option can I use

Userlevel 4
Badge

I want to know if I do not have the Projects module licensed and I want a similar option that is the Account Groups under the Chart of Accounts function what can I use to further group my GL Accounts.

icon

Best answer by Laura02 12 July 2022, 15:40

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

HI @kudzaim20 

Without the projects module, you will not be able to group them. How are you looking to group them? Such as on a report?

Userlevel 4
Badge

HI @kudzaim20 

Without the projects module, you will not be able to group them. How are you looking to group them? Such as on a report?

Confirmed the purpose of grouping is for further reporting needs in this case

Badge +18

Hello, Are you using Account Classes in the chart of accounts?  The purpose of the Account classes is to group accounts for financial reporting.

For example, this account group ‘CASH’ groups all cash accounts together on the balance sheet.

Balance sheet row design: one row represents all cash accounts

Expand the Data Source to choose whether the one CASH row in the report design causes one sum total of cash on the balance sheet (expand nothing), or many lines on Balance sheet per account that is in the CASH account group (expand by account):

If this doesn’t answer your question, I’d like to hear more details about your end goals.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hello, Are you using Account Classes in the chart of accounts?  The purpose of the Account classes is to group accounts for financial reporting.

For example, this account group ‘CASH’ groups all cash accounts together on the balance sheet.

Balance sheet row design: one row represents all cash accounts

Expand the Data Source to choose whether the one CASH row in the report design causes one sum total of cash on the balance sheet (expand nothing), or many lines on Balance sheet per account that is in the CASH account group (expand by account):

If this doesn’t answer your question, I’d like to hear more details about your end goals.

Account classes are already in use, Account groups were further giving us another “sub-reporting group of the account class. For instance I will have an Account class “REVENUE” which is further sub divided into account groups:

SALES - PRODUCTS
SALES - OTHER
SALES - DISCOUNTS

As an example, that is the reason why I wanted something similar to accounting groups in such a case were there is no Project accounting licensed.

Badge +18

Consider replacing one account class ‘revenue’ with the account classes Sales - Products, Sales - Other, and Sales - Discounts.

Yes, you will need to update financial reporting at the same time, but your reports will serve you better, will be improved after your efforts.

Another idea might be turning on  GL subaccounts, if you’re not already using subaccounts for something different.  If you are using subaccounts for something different, consider adding a segment to the subaccounts to represent the above need, products/discounts/other.

This is not the same.  In product such as Sage 500 there was Account Group and Codes enabled without buying or enabling Project Accounting.  It was a simple way to track on User Def Group such as Job or Event when entering an AR or AP Invoice at the line level and the group would then carry to GL Transaction posting as well.   Having to use Segment for this instead is not the best solution when users are used to having the functionality but don’t want to spend money on Project Accounting just for this function. 

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved