Upgrade Suggestions

• 17 November 2021
  • 8 replies

Hi All,Our organization is new to Acumatica and have not upgraded even once.  We are currently on 2020 R2 version and hoping to upgrade soon. We were not sure how other organizations plan their upgrades, the frequency, measures taken before choosing the version and any tests to ensure everything is alright. We are curious about some of the following scenarios as well:- If companies stick to as specific release, for example going from 2020 R1 to 2021 R1 and skip the 2020 R2 in between. - If companies wait for some number of updates & bugfixes after R1/R2 has been released to upgrade to R1/R2We really appreciate any and all the information we can get from the community to plan our first upgrade. Thanks in advance!

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Amruta 

Here are some answers to your questions :

• Though its ideal to stay updated  on latest build, one can skip build updates after carefully reading relevant build release notes on our Community portal. If the bug fixes are not critical to your client environment, then you can opt ‘not’ to update to that build and wait. 

Hope this answers your quesitons,

Regards,

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thank you @vkumar. I appreciate your response. (I’m Amruta’s teammate.) 

We’d like to define our plan for annual upgrades, and we have questions like

• should we upgrade to R1 each year when it comes out?
  • should we upgrade to R1 each year, but wait several months for any bugs to be resolved in updates?
  • should we upgrade to R2 each year since it’s more mature than R1

It’d be nice to hear from members of the Acumatica community that have experienced a few upgrades. What approach do you take?

Thanks!

Dave

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Greetings!

Some notes below from my experiences through 3 upgrades:

• We plan our upgrades every 12-18 months, just depending on what features we stand to gain.  So yes, we skip 1, sometimes 2 of the major releases.  They are done in partnership with our VAR, who also hosts our Acumatica instance.
    • I keep a very close eye on Release/Build Notes, and Known Issues.  This helps paint a full picture of what we’re getting into with an upgrade.
    • We used to upgrade early in the Build cycle, but recently we waited for about 8-9 builds before starting the process.  After reading over the various Build Release Notes, this likely saved us several headaches.
  • Test environment gets upgraded, and our VAR validates our customizations.
  • Extensive testing.  I get users involved, they know the nuances and weird scenarios better than me.  Someone might get lucky and discover an unknown bug!
    • During testing, its likely several more builds will be released.  Read the Build Notes, they might fix a problem you didn’t know you had.  I’ve done several Build applications mid-testing because I found a potential issue got fixed.  This of course means you may need to re-test some things, but it could be worth it in the long run.
  • Once testing is complete, I usually have a list of “Day 0” fixes that need to be done to tidy things up post-upgrade.  This is often just tweaks to GI’s/Reports, and maybe a setting here or there that needs to be adjusted.
  • Go-live upgrades are done on Friday evenings, so I have the weekend to do some validation and “Day 0” fixes.  I usually find one or two unexpected issues arise at this time that got missed in testing, so I have time to fix/get help on those as well.
  • Day 1 (Monday) is probably my most anxious day of the year, waiting for things to go wrong.  However, if testing was done right by both myself and my users, usually only 1 or 2 more issues sneak in.

Hopefully that helps.  I’m usually in “firefighter-mode” the first week post-upgrade, but after that I get to start having fun with the new features.  Best of luck!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Be sure you check with any integration software you have purchased to make sure it has tested the integration with the version you are moving too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @dhollinden 

Each version (R1 or R2) goes through similar vigorous test cycle at our end. So, R1 will be as matured as R2. 

I would say the criteria for upgrade should be

• the newer features added on each version and value addition it can bring to one’s business process
  • the time/effort one has to invest ( complexity of the upgrade project )

Hope this clarifies,

Regards,

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Amruta  and @dhollinden , In addition to all the above recommendations,

1. Please review the Release notes available for each releases under builds.acumatica.com for the version you are switching to and the versions that are in-between.(Screenshots below for reference)
  1. Please involve your Acumatica Partner (Acumatica VAR) in advance on the Upgrade Plan, so that they can assist you in the upgrade , elaborate you the New features, and expected impacts on the current flow.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Amruta and @dhollinden You can also refer to the below link for more details on the release notes for Acumatica 2021 R1

Thanks

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thank you all for these comments. It’s helpful to get your insights. 

Dave

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved