Skip to main content
Solved

Switch off ability to backorder / oversell at SKU Level

• 24 June 2024
  • 5 replies

I've just moved to a company and they have also just recently implemented Acumatica. I'd like the ability within Acumatica that when a SKU comes to the end of its life and we no longer want to re-order (or the product is no longer available to re-order from the supplier) that we can set it to only sell stock on hand and not generate backorders we are unable to fufil. 

I can't see an option to do this within the verison of Acumatica we have.

Is it possible to do this & if so what is required?

Acumatica Cloud ERP 2023 R2
Build 23.213.0015 +

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

HI @chrisross 

The closest you will get is probably to mark the item for No Purchases, it will still allow sales but not purchase more items. 

Item Status The status of the stock item. You can select one of the following options:
  • Active: The item can be used in sales documents, purchase documents, inventory transactions, purchase requests, and requisitions.
  • No Sales: The item cannot be included in sales-related documents. It can, however, be used in purchase documents, inventory transactions, purchase requests, and requisitions.
  • No Purchases: The item cannot be included in purchase-related documents, purchase requests, and requisitions. It can, however, be used in sales documents and inventory transactions.
  • No Request: The item cannot be used in purchase requests or requisitions, but it can be included in sales documents, purchase documents, and inventory transactions.
  • Inactive: The item cannot be added to any sales documents, purchase documents, inventory transactions, purchase requests, and requisitions.
  • Marked for Deletion: The item is marked for deletion. The item cannot be included in any sales documents, purchase documents, inventory transactions, purchase requests, and requisitions, but the record will be kept in the database if any documents included it.

thanks @Kandy Beatty 

I have marked a few items with this but the problem is that people can still keep selling, I’d love a way that only allowed us to sell what stock is physically on hand in our warehouse and not oversell on any lines. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I’m a little late to reply here but I have to agree that this is a huge hole in the logic of Acumatica item status settings

You can upvote my previous post on this

https://community.acumatica.com/ideas/no-backorder-allowed-item-status-17465

• Inactive shuts down your ability to do anything with a product and provides you no warning that you have open transactions or available inventory when the status is changed. This is truly only useful well after end of life
  • No Sales can be somewhat helpful for a narrow set of purposes. It really seems to help clean up your list of items in a manufacturing setting where you might have raw components that aren’t intended for sale, but is otherwise the same as Inactive for anything that is currently in stock and you’re selling down to zero
  • No Purchase is our cheat method of ID’ing items we’re done selling (even the ones we make) but have stock available. But it obviously doesn’t limit backorders and isn’t visible at a line item level when entering a new sales order

We resort to short hand in item descriptions and pop-up notes, which takes more to manage than an item status would be and still isn’t bullet proof. 

The frustrating part is that there are values on the Ecommerce tab that are intended to allow your website to do exactly what we need at the Acumatica end - “when qty is unavailable to set as disabled.”

The frustrating part is that there are values on the Ecommerce tab that are intended to allow your website to do exactly what we need at the Acumatica end - “when qty is unavailable to set as disabled.”

We don’t currently have the ecommerce tab (which I think is part of retail edition?!) - If the website is linked and Acumatica can prevent backorders on site, does that still not prevent it from being created on an SO within Acumatica?

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

We don’t currently have the ecommerce tab (which I think is part of retail edition?!) - If the website is linked and Acumatica can prevent backorders on site, does that still not prevent it from being created on an SO within Acumatica?

Yes - Ecommerce is part of the retail edition, however these settings only exist to export values to Shopify or BigCommerce and they don’t have any internal logic within Acumatica

As a side note to item status and the commerce connector - all inventory related entities will fail as soon as you change the status from Active to anything else, which really limits our team’s ability to manage inventory status or even use a business event to help automate