Solved

Protecting against accidental account deletion

• 16 September 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

We’re using the SAAS version of Acumatica and are still within our first year of using the application. Recently one of our users deleted an account by accident. I’d like to ask if there are best practices for disabling account deletion in general while still allowing accounts to be deleted when necessary. I assume we could use roles to determine who can delete accounts, yet it was a senior person that accidentally deleted the account, and the situation was confusing so the prompt to confirm the deletion didn't prevent it from happening. 

I'm wondering if a better practice might involve an approval process where any deletion requires approval by another user. Is that kind of workflow possible in Acumatica? Another idea would be to only allow account deletion in a 'super admin' account so that anyone needing to delete an account would need to log out and then log into the super admin account, and only certain users would have the super admin credentials. 

How is this kind of thing handled in your organization? Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Dave

icon

Best answer by BenjaminCrisman 16 September 2022, 23:21

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @dhollinden ! You are much closer to your goal I think with the second option you suggested with different users. There is currently no approval process which can be setup to approve deleting a document, at least not without customization.

The only way to limit this would be to revoke access either to specific users to be able to do this or to have as you mentioned a separate login for these users to be able to log in separately to complete the action.

Depending on the module though and the type of document or screen you are performing the action on sometimes a new employee would need to be created for them also as some screens are only accessible to users who are also an employee.

It seems like this could be a useful tool though to be able to catch things before they are deleted by requiring a second set of eyes on the issue, so it could be worthwhile to make a suggestion in the Ideas section to verify others’ interest in such a feature.

Let me know if this helps!

Badge +16

Hello,

Are you asking about accidental deletion of an account from the Chart of Accounts?

The system will not allow deletion of a GL account that has transactions or is used within the system, such as for a default expense account on a vendor.  If the GL account deleted from the Chart of Accounts without error, then it was not used in transactions or other screens. We can add the account back in this case.

To prevent this kind of error, make the Chart of Accounts screen View Only for all roles except Administrator and/or Financial Supervisor.

You might also set up an Audit on the Chart of Accounts screen with a related notification that will notify you when changes are made to the Chart of Accounts.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thank you, @laura01. The account was deleted from the Customer screen. We have auditing enabled for the Customer screen so can see in the history when it was deleted. So my goal is to enforce some type of multi-step process such as a super-admin account that will greatly decrease the likelihood of this happening again. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Thank you, @laura01. The account was deleted from the Customer screen. We have auditing enabled for the Customer screen so can see in the history when it was deleted. So my goal is to enforce some type of multi-step process such as a super-admin account that will greatly decrease the likelihood of this happening again. 

Hi @dhollinden 

The only way this would have been allowed to happen is if there were no transactions on that customer record. Is that the case?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@dhollinden I took your statement to mean Customer account and not like a GL account, is this correct?

There’s not a way to delete a GL account from the customer screen (that I know of 🤔), so to me a deleted account referenced a deleted customer.

Looks like we may need to get this clarification, thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge

The only way this would have been allowed to happen is if there were no transactions on that customer record. Is that the case?

That’s correct. There were no transactions on the account. 

Perhaps what I should say is that we’re interested in adding an additional layer of security to prevent deletions of any kind. I’m feeling that the approach of adding a super-admin account is a good path forward. We’re meeting with our implementation partner soon, and can discuss the specifics of how to proceed. Thanks, everyone. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

@dhollinden - You can restrict access to deletion option by using “Access Rights By Screen”. You can revoke the access to “Delete” option to a certain user role. That being said, you can create a separate role for “Non-Super Admin” users and apply these restrictions.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved