Solved

Best workaround for entering a negative expense receipt for a corporate credit card?

• 9 May 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Currently you cannot enter a negative expense receipt for a corporate credit card. 

Upvote here:

However we have many customers who are dealing with this on a regular basis, what is your prefered or suggested workaround while Acumatica considers the idea of adding this into the product? 

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by meganfriesen37 9 May 2023, 21:02

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I generally recommend doing a Debit Adjustment and then selecting the “Refund” option for processing and make sure you pick the correct application date, payment method and cash account.  This does mean it needs to be entered by someone from the finance / AP team but it does let you pick any expense account to adjust rather than whatever the default account is on the Bank Transactions / Entry type option that Acumatica suggests here: 

I hope they add this functionality soon as it’s a big gap in the processing ability.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Thank you Megan, also I am going to mark this as best answer as I did not realize Acumatica had some help documentation for this as well!  

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hello @meganfriesen37 ,  @Robert Sternberg , 

Currently, we are doing research of user needs regarding this functionality.
You can help us developing the right solution for the product by answering the product research questions below. Your responses will greatly help our engineering team, thanks in advance!

If you use the workaround shared by Megan above (Megan, thank you so much for this!!!)

1. How often does your AP team enter such documents? (just as an idea, e.g. 10 docs a month, 10 docs a week, etc.)
  2. What is the hardest part in doing these steps? Why is it hard?
  3. What don’t you love about this workaround?

If you’ve come up with another workaround, it would be great to learn about that process as well; the same research questions apply.

Pls let me know if you’d like to discuss this topic further.

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@ESTEPALINA 

I spoke to one of our customers that is affected by the functionality under consideration.  They provided the following feedback.  Please contact me if you need any more information.  Thank you

1. Frequency of Overpaid Amounts:  The Acumatica customer issues less than 10 credits on overpaid amounts a month.
  2. Challenges with the Workaround: The Acumatica customer reports the most difficult part of the workaround is finding the correct account and subaccount that offsets the original purchase. The Acumatica customer must find the expense receipt for each credit to find the account.
  3. Drawbacks of the Workaround: The Acumatica customer reports the biggest drawback of this workaround is expense approvers not approving an expense because they are waiting on a credit for an expense. Acumatica customer mentions this should change in time as expense approvers get more accustomed to Acumatica.
  4. Alternative Workarounds: The Acumatica customer states they have not used any alternative workarounds.

I hope this helps and again please let us know if you need more information! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I have reached out to our clients to see what their volume is.  I don’t think the volume is high for any of them, but for most of them, their employees/end users are entering their own receipts and they get “stuck” when there’s a negative receipt and don’t know what to do or how to handle it. Sometimes the refund/return is for the full amount of the original receipt and other times it is a partial refund/return.  Because it’s not a common occurrence, there is often a lot of wasted time/frustration from the end user as they get an error and can’t work around it and then they waste time trying to figure out what to do and who to contact to resolve the issue.  The accountants/AP also don’t always know how to handle it and then the issue gets escalated through different channels just generally wasting time along the way and the workaround is several steps and documents rather than just entering it on the expense claim, approving and releasing.

If employees could just enter a negative amount for a Corporate Card expense in the same way that they can for a personal account item that would solve the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Here’s a bit more info from one of our customers.

• How often do you encounter returns on corporate cards? With 70 credit cards, we encounter around 6-10 returns/credits on a monthly basis.
  • What is the hardest part of doing a manual work around? The current work around is not straightforward for cardholders to do themselves, so it is adds extra work to the administrative staff.
  • What don’t you like about the work around? The current workaround does not follow the same logic as regular Expense Receipts. It would be best if returns or refunds could just be entered as negatives, or if there was a toggle between "regular" and "refunds" on the same Expense Receipt screen to keep everything on the same screen with the same process.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@ESTEPALINA here’s additional feedback from another customer:

• How often do you encounter returns on corporate cards? Weekly 1-10
  • What is the hardest part of doing a manual work around? We have assigned one person on the finance team to record through journal entries, which works, but could be done by the person assigned to the card if the system worked correctly.
  • What don’t you like about the work around? It is an added administrative step that should be handled by the regular process as it is common with credit card purchases.

Also - none of my Acumatica customers that are using corporate cards are using field services/appointments (as this was a question in the related ideas post.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved