Solved

Attachment File Export - File Type Issues 

• 14 November 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi everyone, 

When exporting file attachments, in this case the Shop for Rates excel export, it downloads to my computer in a strange way. It says its an Excel file, and the file size is 5 KB. 

After I open the excel document and save it, the file size jumps up to 9-10 KB. 

The main issue I’m having is when trying to import these export files into Power BI (or even Jupyter notebook and Python). If I try to import the file into Power BI before saving it, I get this error: 

Does anyone know what the file type really is when it is exported from Acumatica? And is there a way to have this change to a “Valid excel document” without having to open up every file, save, and close? 

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by bclark 19 January 2024, 15:23

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Make sure you’re using Microsoft Office 2007 or later version. If not, you need to install the appropriate plug in. 

Please check the export to excel section in the site preferences form and make sure to set them as per your requirement.

https://help.acumatica.com/(W(6))/Help?ScreenId=ShowWiki&pageid=4859a849-af09-420d-a55b-93c72eabd553

Let us know the Acumatica version you’re using and attach the downloaded excel file to help you further.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @MayomiRodrigo36 

I do have the latest versions of MS Office, so I don’t think that’s the problem there. 

I am currently running on Acumatica 2022 R2. 

Here are those export to excel settings: 

I’ve also attached a sample file that is read as not a valid excel document when entering directly into Power BI. 

Thanks for looking into this!

Userlevel 3
Badge

The reason for this issue can be because your excel is opening as a protected sheet at the beginning. Please try open the document > save it separately and try again to upload to Power BI

Userlevel 4
Badge

@MayomiRodrigo36 

Yes, I have no problem opening it up in Power BI after saving the document first. I was wondering if there was a way to not have to save it. 

Because I’m wanting to export thousands of these Shop for Rates files like the one I shared, and I don’t want to open up each on individually to remove this “protected” format. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @bclark were you able to find a solution? Thank you!

Userlevel 4
Badge

@Chris Hackett 

The solution I ended up going with was a customization project that put a “Download Zip File” on the Search in Files screen, where I could select the files I wanted to export in bulk in a zip file on my local computer. 

Then I ran a python script to open, convert, and save each file to a CSV, because the file type straight out of Acumatica was not a proper Excel format. 

Then I saved all these files in an Access DB. It works, but it took a lot of other steps. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge

Thank you for sharing your solution with the community @bclark!

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved