Solved

Segmented Inventory ID

• 11 August 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2

Hello Everyone,

We are looking for to adopt a 7 segment inventory id. One of the segment is Item Class. Thinking about using Attributes and make the id created automatically. Its not clear on how the ids get created using attributes and segments. Already referred Matrix items, Templates as part of the research. Has anyone went through a process of multi segment inventory id. how easy is to create and maintain the records? Is there any value on creating multi segment like for any reporting? Ease of use, read challenge, etc. Any challenges that we should be aware of. Appreciate any insight.

Thanks,

icon

Best answer by Kandy Beatty 14 August 2023, 14:29

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hello @hmukundan ,

A screen shot of a test item with the segment inventory ID would be useful to understand what you are trying to do.

I am assuming:

Tshirt-White-L
Tshirt-White-XL

By default in Acumatica, the maximum length of the Inventory ID field is 30 characters, so depending on how many segments you have you will want to follow the character limit if possible.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Also you mentioned attributes. Here is how we are using attributes for stock items:

Userlevel 2

@AndrewBGL Thank you for your reply. Yes, aware of the character limitation and the segments have been crafted to support it. I have created Attributes for each of the segments and have also template id. If i make all the attributes available in the Item Class and when i try to create a stock id will the id will be automatically gets generated? some of my values in the segments will change and they are about 10000 plus skus Here is an example of the segment

Clothing - Color - Type - Item Class - Size - x - y

I have created attributes and combo values for each one of them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @hmukundan 

It’s simple to segment Inventory ID’s. The only issue that I see is end users remembering to enter them correctly. You would need to somehow require that each section is filled in and that would most likely be a customization. 

I saw you said you have looked at Template Items and I think this would be a better solution for you as it would create the items for you. You would not have to maintain much more than the Template ID and the configuration, which it seems you are doing with attributes now. 

Userlevel 2

@kandybeatty49 Thank you for the details and screenshots Kandy much appreciated. Can you have multiple templates with different values for each segment or do you need to have all segments show even though some might not applicable. Do you need to have same segment for both Stock and Non Stock items or can it be seperate?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@kandybeatty49 Thank you for the details and screenshots Kandy much appreciated. Can you have multiple templates with different values for each segment or do you need to have all segments show even though some might not applicable. Do you need to have same segment for both Stock and Non Stock items or can it be seperate?

Hi @hmukundan 

Yes,  you can have different templates for Stock and Non Stock Items. 

Userlevel 2

@kandybeatty49 thank you, this was great. I will get back if any additional clarification required.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @hmukundan 

Happy to help :)

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

One thing to consider is that the maximum number of characters for an inventory ID is 30.  I have seen many clients use the same ID for the Bill of Materials however, the BOM ID is limited to 15 characters.  with 7 segments, it sounds like you are trying to create smart part numbers.  The drawback to that is you could run out of number combinations since each segment will have just a few characters and those characters represent specific details about the part.  Not sure that you would need to include the item class as a segment as many of the GIs and reports can be filtered and sorted by the item class and you can modify or create custom GIs and Reports based and filtered on attributes.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved