Solved

Does Acumatica have built in Carrier Label formats?

Userlevel 2
Badge

I am trying to set up my Carrier Labels for both UPS and FedEx integrations. I have verified UPS and FedEx have a ZPL label format file type chosen.

Do I have to go to Report Designer for the Carrier Label form and build a label from scratch? I assumed Acumatica, via its connections built in for UPS, would have a UPS label file already built.

icon

Best answer by Dana Moffat 26 April 2022, 19:29

View original

19 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

For ZPL you would typically print it directly to a zebra label printer. If you need to preview the label you may be able to create a report but I don’t think(could be wrong) Acumatica has the ability to render ZPL. If you change the format to an image format you should be able to create a report that it can render(I believe Acumatica ships with a Carrier Labels report that does just that).

We have it setup via DeviceHub and our zebra printers are setup to use raw mode, the system just prints the labels directly to the zebra printers. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Mark,

I do not intend to preview the label. Once I confirm a shipment via UPS or FedEx, I want the label to automatically print through DeviceHub to the default zebra printer. Is there no label design that needs to be done? Once you integrate the connection with UPS, the label is already ready to go?

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

If you have UPS/FedEx integration setup it will attach the zpl file to the packages once the shipment is confirmed. It doesn’t automatically print them. There may be a setting for it(there is for shipment confirmations) but if not you can always use business events to pretty easily configure it to auto print.

On the Process Shipments screen there is a Print Label action, and if you have DeviceHub enabled you can select Print With Device Hub and then select the zebra printer there.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Mark,

When I go into Process Shipments > Print Labels and run it for a UPS shipment, it downloads a ZPL file to my computer, rather than actually printing the label, see below:

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

It will also generate the print job. The downloading the file thing is a bug that Acumatica has not fixed yet. You should see a print job generated on the Print Jobs screen if it is working correctly.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Strange. It shows as processed, but nothing was printed:

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I would check your device hub logs then. You can also check the printer on the server/computer where device hub is installed to see if the print job is erroring out. You do need to make sure the printer is setup in the device hub with Raw Mode option selected. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @trenton78 ,

Thank you for your question. 

Re: When I go into Process Shipments > Print Labels and run it for a UPS shipment, it downloads a ZPL file to my computer, rather than actually printing the label via the device hub.

This is being addressed in an upcoming release so that you will be able to print the label to your zebra printer via the device hub.

-Dana

Userlevel 4
Badge

We have a customer that has been printing their carrier shipment labels for years using the instructions to set up a local .bat file to redirect the downloads to the label printer.

Apparently this stopped working and they believe it was after a recent windows update. They do not have DeviceHub configured, it has solely relied on the .bat file redirecting to an LPT port for the printer.

If printer redirect is not working, and DeviceHub is not able to work yet to directly print the labels to the label printer, does anyone have any ideas how to get this customer’s carrier labels printing again? I do not know where else to look. Also, I notice that upon Shipment Confirmation, the label image is no longer attaching to the packages.

Thank you,

Greg

@gbrazelton14 - I would suggest that you create a case with support for this issue.  The source of the issue may be …. the label image is no longer attaching to the packages.  Are there any errors when the shipment is confirmed?  Are you getting a tracking number but no label?

Userlevel 4
Badge

That makes sense - I believe they say they are not getting tracking numbers either. I better arrange a session with the customer to find out more, then I can create a support case.

Thanks!

Greg

@gbrazelton14 

Greg - yes this sounds more like a shipment confirm / carrier label creation issue rather than a label printing issue - good luck

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@gbrazelton14 I have been doing some hacking with label prining and Acumatica. I have code to print to a label printer using DeviceHub, as well as with a cloud service called PrintNode. If you are truly stuck, I can probably help you get going again with a customization project approach to this. I didn’t like the way Acumatica stored lable files as attachments for later printing, so I wrote some code that allows labels to be printed on demand by hitting a button in the mobile app (or in the desktop version...depending on your use case).

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thank you @rosenjon - I will keep that in mind.

Greg

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@Dana Moffat has this been addressed and fixed yet?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @nathantrauscht, yes this has been addressed as of 22R2 Release.  Here is the Release Notes link where you will find it referenced under AC0232409 and the extract i have provided below.

AC-232409: Even if DeviceHub was configured for the instance, and a user could mass-print labels for the shipments by selecting the Print Labels action in the Action box of the Process Shipments (SO503000) form, clicking the command with the same name on the Shipments (SO302000) form caused the system to open the Carrier Labels (SO645000) printed form instead of printing labels via DeviceHub.

Acumatica Release Notes for 22.200.0104 Fix Description: If DeviceHub and the printers mapping for the Carrier Labels printed form are configured in the system, the labels attached to the shipment are now printed via DeviceHub when the user clicks the Print Labels command on the Shipments form, together with opening the Carrier Labels printed form.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@Dana Moffat that’s great! I have been having trouble finding instructions on how to setup printer mapping for carrier labels. We have the printer (Zebra Label Printer) configured on our devicehub and on our printers list in Acumatica. We are using EasyPost with UPS and want to print ZPL labels automatically when we confirm the shipment.

Do you know where I can find these instructions?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

cc @Omar Ghazi

Userlevel 2
Badge

I can’t speak for DeviceHub, but the way we print the Zebra zpl labels is . . . when we “print” a shipping label it downloads a .zpl file. When we open the .zpl file it prints the label.  That’s because we have a file zebra.bat that we have associated with the .zpl suffix.  This batch file says:

print /d:\\computer_name\zebra_printer_name %1

I’m planning to install DeviceHub one of these days, and then I guess I’ll be wanting the answer to the original question too.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved