Solved

Capturing Length, Width and Height at the stock item level - Best Practice

• 27 February 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Looking at working on integrations with our shipping broker, and we are investigating how to pass along dimensions for items we ship through them regularly.  I know where is box dimensions that can be captured, but I believe those only come into play during a shipment.  We are trying to store these at the stock item, so that when we create a new stock item that we want our broker’s system to know about, that data is readily available to pull.

Does anyone have any best practices?  We are currently looking at either adding the information as attributes, or adding customs fields to the packaging tab on the stock item record.

icon

Best answer by darylbowman 27 February 2024, 16:49

View original

2 replies

Badge +11

Generally, Attributes provide more flexibility to a non-coder but are more complicated on the backend, whereas custom fields provide more reliability because they can’t be accidentally changed or deleted and are quite straightforward on the backend, but less flexible to be changed.

Personally, I would nearly never recommend Attributes over custom fields unless the goal was flexibility. Even then… 😏

Userlevel 3
Badge

That’s kind of what we were thinking as well.  Thanks

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved