Solved

Can IN issues which be generated by Credit memo having original cost on customer return items

• 20 October 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Hello,

I met a case, user miss put 66.2 cases line item on invoice, which should be 66.2 lb. The “real” shipment is 66.2 lb. And AR total is correct. So it is just system document typo error. Then I manually created a credit memo, which is to get 66.2 cases back(virtually) and issue 66.2 lb.

Then I found out the IN issues based on this credit memo is automatically released. However, the cost of the returned 66.2 cases is 0.

Which I’d like to be the same cost as the sold items. Such as $6 per cases.

It might be my mistake, that I just added the credit memo lines manually. I am not sure, if I used the “add return line” function, whether the cost would be input as I expected. But sometimes it is the quickest way to do it, and users are preferring using this way (add lines directly), because it is quick. 

If I would like the customer return at original cost, what is the best way to do it?

icon

Best answer by Julia Golomidova 23 October 2020, 10:05

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Hello,

As I checked and found more information.

Previously, we did NOT encounter or notice the 0 cost issue on IN issues document. Causing Acumatica has a default logic that would set customer return item at “Average” or “Last” cost. Mainly by “Average” if user didn’t change the setting on Warehouse.

So previously, the item returned did have average cost, so it is no big problem.

However, for the case I met, it is a “Oversell” scenario, warehouse do not have “66.2  cases” on hand (1 case =60 lb or something), so after 66.2 cases be deducted from inventory, the average cost goes to 0, and then we do return, the automatically return cost is 0.

Is there a way to make sure customer item are returned at sold cost?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@mvolshteyn  can you take a look at this please?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hello @ray20,

As far as I understood the scenario, you create an IN Issue document with 2 lines: Credit Memo and Issue to correct the cost of inventory.

In this situation, since the Credit Memo line in IN Issue doesn’t have any link to the original invoice, the system uses the Average Cost of inventory.

At the same time, for IN Issues lines with the Credit Memo type users can manually correct the Unit Cost and Ext. Cost values

Another option I can see here is to create an IN Adjustment document where Unit Cost and Ext. Cost values are editable. As it’s mentioned, that the amount in an Invoice is correct and only the cost of inventory should be corrected, it’s possible to create an IN Adjustment either

• with the only line and specify there the Qty and Ext Cost for adjusting
  • or with 2 lines, the same way as in an IN Issue with Credit Memo and Issue types in your example:

Hope this helps,

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi,

Here is a related feature request posted on our Product Ideas page. 

https://community.acumatica.com/ideas/customer-shipment-return-functionality-978

You may vote and add your comments as well. 

Regards,

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Hello @ray20,

As far as I understood the scenario, you create an IN Issue document with 2 lines: Credit Memo and Issue to correct the cost of inventory.

In this situation, since the Credit Memo line in IN Issue doesn’t have any link to the original invoice, the system uses the Average Cost of inventory.

At the same time, for IN Issues lines with the Credit Memo type users can manually correct the Unit Cost and Ext. Cost values

Another option I can see here is to create an IN Adjustment document where Unit Cost and Ext. Cost values are editable. As it’s mentioned, that the amount in an Invoice is correct and only the cost of inventory should be corrected, it’s possible to create an IN Adjustment either

• or with 2 lines, the same way as in an IN Issue with Credit Memo and Issue types in your example:

Hope this helps,

@Julia Golomidova 
     Thank you Julia, very much help. And it can be a solution.
Just a little correction, it is NOT “me” who created the IN issue manually, I just created a “SO credit memo”, and the releasing of the SO credit memo leads to the generation and releasing of the IN issue(system set releasing IN doc automatically).
     Yes, next time to solve this mis using UOM cases, IN adjustment is a better choice.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hello @ray20,

Hope this helps,

@Julia Golomidova 
     Thank you Julia, very much help. And it can be a solution.
Just a little correction, it is NOT “me” who created the IN issue manually, I just created a “SO credit memo”, and the releasing of the SO credit memo leads to the generation and releasing of the IN issue(system set releasing IN doc automatically).
     Yes, next time to solve this mis using UOM cases, IN adjustment is a better choice.

@ray20 , actually if  “SO credit memo” is created using “Add Invoice” function, the unit cost from the inventory issue corresponding to original invoice lines is being defaulted (and then defaulted to inventory credit memo”, I..e receipt). Was the “Add Invoice” function used in this scenario?

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@ray20, actually if  “SO credit memo” is created using “Add Invoice” function, the unit cost from the inventory issue corresponding to original invoice lines is being defaulted (and then defaulted to inventory credit memo”, I..e receipt). Was the “Add Invoice” function used in this scenario?

@mvolshteyn 
Unfortunately No, the credit memo was created by adding lines directly. As I said, the users including me in our company are used to adding lines directly. In most cases, it is the quickest way, and in most cases, the return items are at “average” cost, it won’t bring up any issue.
Just the case I met, a rare one. Unfortunately.

But somehow, if the credit memo ultimately leads to an IN adjustment, I think creating an IN adjustment is quicker and more straight forward.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @ray20,

I see by this thread that you are interested in the topic of Customer Returns/Refunds. 

The Distribution product team is currently conducing customer end-user interviews about the Customer Returns process.  Is this something that your company would like to participate in?  If so, please indicate your interest here and i’ll reach out to you directly to organize with you.  -thanks, Dana

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved