Skip to main content
Question

Use a Sales Order (transfer type) to create a transfer order for project inventory

• 16 May 2024
  • 5 replies

Is it possible to create a transfer order in Sales Order for the supply of inventory for a project?

The transfer form allows for a warehouse to be selected and then the field below is “project” but it seems to accept nothing bu project X.

Project inventory is enabled and the project setting for inventory tracking is by location.

Thanks

James

5 replies

Yes, you should use SO type TR. On the SO form you pick the project and make sure your item you want to pick are located in Warehouse with Location that has link to corresponding Project.

The Inventory will be deducted after the shipment is updated IN.

And then you need to do Purchase Receipt type Transfer Receipt to receive goods

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thank you Chidao,

The reason that I could not see the project on the TR order was because of the Customer visibility restriction.

In my testing, I had to create an inventory  issue to charge the project with the cost of the item and to remove it from the Inventory balance.  The transfer receipt only received the inventory into the project location.

Is that right?

James

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@jmorgan i believe you are correct however, i have a question. are you creating project specific warehouse locations?  if you transfer it, it will move the inventory to the project warehouse location (most likely still a BS acct) but it will not cost it to the project.  in order to cost it to the project, you will need to issue it via inventory issues or using the shipment method from SO → update inventory.  this is when it will hit your expense account

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thanks Iqra,

Yes, using project specific warehouse locations.   That’s correct, to get it charged to the project you need to do an issue.

I am not clear about the shipment method that you mention.  The SO (transfer) creates a shipment and then that creates the IN transaction.  But I think that simply posts the inventory movement from the main warehouse to GIT.

James

I’m struggling with this during our implementation. We are trying to create a sales order where we can simply pick, order/procure, or produce/mfg all inventory in a one-stop-shop location.  We basically want to take all inventory and hold it in a staging warehouse, and then when the project is ready to start, we will transfer material to the virtual project warehouse. 

Material will get costed against the project and consumed out of inventory when we do service orders that are completed by technicians on the job; however, I am struggling with these earlier phases of inventory staging/picking/ordering/production and the concept of shipments (just not used to this in our current system). 

• With a transfer sales order, will the shipment simply transfer material to whichever warehouse and location I choose?
  • How about the items that I need to order and or make a production order for that is needed?
    • Once a PO is received I can receive that material directly into a staging or project location.
    • Once a production order is complete, I can receive that material back into inventory into a staging or project location. 

Once we’ve got all the material the sales order is essentially pointless and will need to be manually closed and/or cancelled because we will not actually “Ship” this to a customer or invoice the customer. We aren’t consuming inventory at all.