Skip to main content
Solved

Project Task Query

Is it possible to add multiple tasks to a revenue line on a project? For example one revenue line consists of a quantity of 5 and there are 5 tasks that need to be completed to fulfill it. As they are completed project billing would be run to capture the payment and update the revenue budget 

We are new to Acumatica and trying to trying to take advantage of the project functionality any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @fkrug!

What budget structure do you have the revenue budget set up at? Is it set to Task only? If so, then you can only use the task once on the revenue budget.  Depending on the structure you can have repeat tasks, if you use task and cost code, task and item, etc. there are a few options.

can you help me understand the request a little better? do you have an example you can share or elaborate on the different type of tasks could be? I am wondering if we could add a layer to the revenue budget line, either through cost codes or items

Userlevel 1

Hi @iqraharrison,

Thank you for getting back so quickly. Here is an example of what a project looks like at my company:

We complete tasks on items based on a clients request. A client will come to us and say they would like us to do a set of tasks to these items. The project will identify how many items the client wants and identifies various tasks with scheduled dates to complete in the project plan. Some of these tasks are just completed others are completed and the customer is billed, finally others are completed and a deliverable is shipped to the client and they are billed.

Example:

Client requests 5 Items (AA, BB, CC, DD, EE)

Activities:

Activity A: Completed not billed 

Activity B: Billed on completion

Activity C: Completed, deliverable shipped, and billed for

Project Plan:

1/1: Activity A (completed on all 5 items)

1/15: Activity A (Completed on all 5 items)

1/20: Activity B (Completed on all 5 items

1/28: Activity C (Completed on all 5 items)

2/1: Activity A (completed on all 5 items)

2/15: Activity A (Completed on all 5 items)

2/20: Activity B (Completed on all 5 items

2/28: Activity C (Completed on all 5 items)

3/1: Activity A (completed on all 5 items)

3/15: Activity A (Completed on all 5 items)

3/20: Activity B (Completed on all 5 items)

3/28: Activity C (Completed on all 5 items)

The way I would see this flow is the following: a project quote is created to capture the revenue on the project.

Activity A: Quantity 30 (6 activities x 5 items)

Activity B: Quantity 15 (3 activities x 5 items)

Activity C: Quantity 15 (3 activities x 5 items)

Sales when quoting the client would not know the dates up front or the specific items being assigned to the client. Once the quote is approved, a project manager would add(or upload) the tasks and assign the specific dates. Then over time as the tasks are completed the client is billed. 

Please let me know if this does not make sense, our projects are not cookie cutter but I am hoping Acumatica can handle something like this

Badge +18

Hello @fkrug ,

Below is an example of a Project that has multiple Tasks that produce revenue.

Note, the same Task may be listed with different Descriptions (or different Cost Codes, if you are using Cost Codes). Also different Task ID’s may be listed on the Budget tabs. All lines on Revenue Budget tab can produce revenue and should have a Billing Rule connected on the Tasks tab.  Quantity and Unit rate may be used to track # of completed items.

Tasks are billed based on % complete, or by Time & Materials → billed based on the Billing Rule connected to the Tasks on the Tasks tab of the project.

Project Billing doesn’t capture a payment, per se.  Payments will typically be entered separately in Receivables module after the invoice is created and sent to the customer.

Laura

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Laura02 hi! is there a setting to allow for the same task to be used? I know that was something a lot of clients requested.  When i went to test this out, I wasn’t able to add multiple lines with the same task, the system would delete the task and an error would produce.  The only way I was able to do that was if I specified a different account group, cost code or item which differentiates that lines.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@fkrug thanks for providing an example.  Can you please advise what the invoice to the client would look like? Is this what the client would expect?

Userlevel 1

@iqraharrison 

The screen shot you have here would be what the quote would look like. As the project went on various items would get billed on a completion basis. An example would be 

Activity A:

Quantity 5 x $120 for $600

This would be billing for 1 activity done to all 5 items.

Additional activities would be billed on their completion. This is why I was curious if multiple tasks could funnel into one revenue line. 

My thought would be Revenue line = “Activity A” then in this example (including details I provided above) there would be 6 tasks for “Activity A” that would be billed for after each are completed, further updating the revenue line item until it is billed in full. This is just a hypothetical thought I am not sure how exactly Acumatica could handle it.

Badge +18

@Laura02 hi! is there a setting to allow for the same task to be used? I know that was something a lot of clients requested.  When i went to test this out, I wasn’t able to add multiple lines with the same task, the system would delete the task and an error would produce.  The only way I was able to do that was if I specified a different account group, cost code or item which differentiates that lines.  

Hello @iqraharrison ,

I’m showing a project from Sales Demo. Cost Codes are not activated. Cost Budget Level is Task & Item → No Items entered on the Revenue budget.

I think you are correct: when I try to add another line using the same Task and Account Group, Acumatica won’t allow my duplicate.

In “real life” outside of Sales Demo examples… to use the same Task and Account Group twice:

1. We need different cost codes on the Revenue Budget lines, or
  2. We need different Stock Items on the Revenue Budget lines, or
  3. We need different Account Classes. It is possible to have multiple Revenue GL accounts, each with different Revenue Account Classes and different Revenue Budgets.

Which option do you recommend for FKrug?

Best regards,

Laura

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@fkrug the only way to have the same task show up on the revenue (and cost) budget is if you differentiate it by either cost code or inventory item (probably non-stock).  In your case, I could see something like this working (using inventory items): 

I used the progress billing rule in the sales demo on the task tab: 

I highlighted the portion above to show you that only the lines that have a value in the completed % column will show up in the invoice.  You can select this to include ALL lines on the revenue regardless of the completion status. 

Going back to your example, if you were to bill Activity A based of item completion and in this case, let’s say just one item was completed, we could run a billing that would be for line 1: 

Let’s say, Activity B, you can only bill once both items are complete.  So when you are ready to bill, you can specify those lines as 100% complete and run project billing: 

This would create an invoice for the two lines: 

It may be easier to create different billing rules for the methods you have even though they all may be progress.   I’ve had clients that had billing rules for Upon Completion, 50-40-10, etc. and most of the set up was the same.

I hope I understood the requirements properly and based off your feedback this is something that I think could work or I hope it points you in the right direction

I would recommend brainstorming with your partner to see if they have any ideas as well! 

Good luck!

Userlevel 1

@iqraharrison @Laura02

Thank you both for all of the insight. I will take this info and try to come up with a solution.

If I could I had one more question on projects since both of you seem to be experts in the topic. Am I missing something when looking at a customer. Is there no way on the customer account or business account to see all the projects going on for a customer? I would think there would be a tab similar to “orders” to be able to see the listing. Maybe it is a set up piece I am missing?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@fkrug i dont think acumatica shows that information on the customer record.

you could use the projects or project summary inquiry screens to filter by customer name or sort by project but i don’t think there is anything on the customer record that would give you that info.

you could also create a custom GI to only include relevant info such as project ID/description, contract amount and/or billed to date. 

Badge +18

Hello @fkrug ,

It’s a great idea to add a Projects tab to Customer Profile screen so we have a links directly from the Customer to their projects. Please vote for your idea here:

In the meantime,  Customer ID already appears in Projects Preview list and both fields can be filtered & searched.

Use circled Column Configuration to add Customer fields if you can’t already see them.

Laura