Solved

Project Manager Access

Userlevel 2

Hello,

I am very new to Acumatica and I’m attempting to figure out the best setup for project manager user roles/access. We want them to be able to look at project budgets/costs. What roles have others granted project managers so they can see project costs, but really not anything else?

icon

Best answer by Heidi Dempsey 27 October 2022, 17:17

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @linettesommerer 

I would suggest looking at the Construction Project Manager Dashboard, that may help you with what you want to grant access to 

You could also suggest that Acumatica creates user roles for projects as they have with manufacturing. 

Badge +16

Hello,

In any new role, I consider hiding ‘Preferences’ settings from most employees.  If you like this idea you’ll need 2 roles, one who can change screens like Labor Rates, Billing Rules and one that can only view Preferences screens.

Project Managers will likely need some rights in AR/AP.  For example, if the PM’s approve POs and AP Bill lines that are connected to their projects, they will need to view AP Bills & POs, and possibly change AP Bills & POs (such as if the bill was keyed to correct project but incorrect task). It’s easier for a PM to make a change and then approve, than to reject the document and send it back.

Project Managers usually need rights to Approvals screens & processes.

Depending on whether you’re using Time & Expense, project managers will need to view & possibly update time entries,  expense claims. (I suggest use the Company Tree for time & expense approvals, to allow the PM’s to see entries of those employees they supervise.)

If you issue inventory items to projects, Project Managers may like to see some inventory screens/reports, such as to gauge stock levels, to see whether materials were issued/transferred to the job site.

Last, have you asked the project managers for a list of things they need to see? Ask them to what screens they had access in the prior system.

Laura

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@linettesommerer Your partner should be able to help you set this up as well. 

Hello,

I am very new to Acumatica and I’m attempting to figure out the best setup for project manager user roles/access. We want them to be able to look at project budgets/costs. What roles have others granted project managers so they can see project costs, but really not anything else?

What did you guys end up doing? We are struggling with this too. 

Userlevel 2

Lana, our partner was never able to get us where we wanted to be, without customization. We passed on the customization because we decided to go back to our old system. 

@Heidi Dempsey this is significant feedback. One customer couldn’t get what they needed and left Acumatica, we are running into the same problem with no reasonable solutions so far. Would love any help, how can we give people access to only their own projects without having to create groups that you have to then add every single new project to keep up privacy? We enter the PM at the job level, why can’t that be our security filter? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Heidi Dempsey this is significant feedback. One customer couldn’t get what they needed and left Acumatica, we are running into the same problem with no reasonable solutions so far. Would love any help, how can we give people access to only their own projects without having to create groups that you have to then add every single new project to keep up privacy? We enter the PM at the job level, why can’t that be our security filter? 

Hi @lanefarrell 

Have you looked at Row Level Security with Project Access? 

https://help-2022r2.acumatica.com/(W(3))/Help?ScreenId=ShowWiki&pageid=acb29e28-bbd7-4e7d-8f1d-984b580e47a8

Userlevel 2

Our partner was not able to establish without a customization a way for a project manager to see complete project totals, including Labor and Burden, without disclosing line item detail on employees’ pay rates. We could not achieve inclusion of Labor and Burden totals only. If access was restricted with respect to labor and burden, the labor and burden costs were literally excluded from the project totals that the PM had access to, which did not give them a true reflection of the project cost. Maybe my partner was just that bad...

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@lanefarrell  Yes a customization is one way.  Restriction groups are the way to go but I would name them something generic so if that PM leaves, you don’t need to change the name.  A business event could be created to add to that Restriction Group upon creation of project to make it automatic.  Also check out the article @kandybeatty49 sent.  I would closely with your partner and they can help you with this.  Also check out page 327 on Release notes for 21R2 where we enhanced security for payroll on projects as well.  Here is the link to the release notes:  http://acumatica-builds.s3.amazonaws.com/builds/21.2/ReleaseNotes/AcumaticaERP_2021R2_ReleaseNotes_full.pdf

@linettesommerer  If you are every ready to reconsider, more than happy to talk to you about changes that have been made in security.

@Heidi Dempsey I am reviewing the link! What is a business event? I Haven’t heard that terminology yet. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

HI @lanefarrell 

You use the business event functionality for monitoring business events that occur in the system as users perform business processes. Business events are particular actions, data changes, or conditions that require user attention in your company. By setting up business event monitoring, you ensure that these business events will not be missed, without individual users needing to spend their time performing manual monitoring.

https://help-2022r2.acumatica.com/(W(5))/Help?ScreenId=ShowWiki&pageid=85d4ed6e-f498-4683-86f9-bdb5a2164c6d

https://help-2022r2.acumatica.com/(W(4))/Help?ScreenId=ShowWiki&pageid=920e13d8-387c-404f-8b33-c200ac66df98

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thank you @kandybeatty49 .   @lanefarrell you can also watch videos on youtube there are several.  Here is the one we posted

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved