Construction / Real Estate Development

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi All,

We began implementing Acumatica almost a year ago and have redone a few tenants since then due to changing minds etc.

We’re using the Construction edition; have 30ish companies over 3 tenants. 

1st tenant contains our Development project companies

2nd tenant contains our Subtrade companies and Construction Management company

3rd tenant contains all our Construction Management Projects for use in tracking costs for the owners (and to keep that data separate from tenant #2)

We’ve had some hiccups implementing and changing things as we learn more about the system.
ie. in construction I found it odd that a subcontract gets closed out automatically when the $ value is reached; what if there’s another change order on that subcontract further down the project line (which there often is).  We added an unused task with different cost code in each subcontract named “Force Subcontract to Remain Open” and gave it a dollar value of 0.01.  Now if the actual cost code item reaches or goes over the original amount the contract doesn’t close and we can uncheck the the ‘closed’ box and then we’re able to add the subcontract line items to a new AP bill.  Odd work around.

Another hiccup: I can’t find anywhere in Acumatica (or googling) how the system handles Cash Allowances

1. If there is one, please advise
  2. Otherwise we’ve worked around it with adding the line items in a subcontract to start with a 100% Discount Amount
  3. As a subcontractor uses this Cash Allowance, we’ll add a Change Order equivalent of what they use against that line item.
  4. ie. if the subcontractor for a cash allowance (let’s say $150,500) line item uses 50%, a CO will go in for $75,250 and the Discount Percent will drop to 50% and the Discount Amount will drop to the remaining $75,250.

More specifically our CFO is hoping there will be another CFO on here (ideally around the Vancouver, BC area) who’s Construction/Development company uses Acumatica that we could consult “best practices” with.

Otherwise, I’m just looking for conversation about how others are overcoming some pitfalls etc., or tid-bits of advice.

Thanks for reading!

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

I have a few answers:

Regarding Subcontract being closed automatically - these can be re-opened with a change order.  Add the subcontract to the commitment tab and enter the amount of the change.  If this is not happening, check your version you may need to upgrade.

I don’t fully understand your question about Cash Allowances.  I’m familiar with allowances, but I’m not understanding the discount.  Maybe we can chat more regarding this item.

I am an Acumatica consultant as well as I have experience as a CFO for construction companies.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I have a few answers:

Regarding Subcontract being closed automatically - these can be re-opened with a change order.  Add the subcontract to the commitment tab and enter the amount of the change.  If this is not happening, check your version you may need to upgrade.

I don’t fully understand your question about Cash Allowances.  I’m familiar with allowances, but I’m not understanding the discount.  Maybe we can chat more regarding this item.

I am an Acumatica consultant as well as I have experience as a CFO for construction companies.

Thanks for the response.

In our version, I ‘reopen subcontract’ and uncheck the ‘closed’ box for the line item that is over in value.  Then create a change order, on the commitments tab “select commitments” the subcontract does not show up in the listing as available.  Only if I have another line item in the subcontract which the value hasn’t been used up does it show up in the listing.

With the cash allowances, we want them referenced in the system, but they’re not change orders yet so we don’t want the value changing the totals in the system until they’re being used.  That’s why we’re using the discount.

I think my CFO would like to have a conversation; I’ll dm you, and thank you!

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved